Hexiamonds

If you join equilateral triangles together edge-to-edge you make what, in 1961, recreational mathematician Thomas H. O’Beirne dubbed polyiamonds. If you use six triangles, you get a hexiamond. There are 12 distinct hexiamonds. A complete set of hexiamonds covers an area of 6 x 12 = 72 triangles,

As you’d guess, there are lots of pleasing shapes you can make with 72 triangles. Interestingly, it’s possible, but not at all easy, to cover many of those shapes with a set of hexiamonds. Since “possible but not easy” means “puzzle” to me, I decided to make a hexiamond-based puzzle.

I chose seven shapes, each of which can be covered in many different ways by the hexiamonds. Here are the shapes and an example showing each of them really has a solution:

and built them into a compact self contained box:

The box is composed of layers of 3mm BB held together in the corners by 4mm diameter, 2mm-thick neodymium magnets. If you remove the lid, this is what you see:

The hexiamonds themselves are cut from 6mm BB.

If you pull the layers all apart you get this:

To use the puzzle choose one of the shape layers, place it on the solid layer, stack the others under it, and snap on the bottom layer.

I put a solution to one of the shapes on the cover, both to hint at what’s inside, and to make the puzzle easy to reassemble for storage.

Here are the .svg files for it:
Hexiamonds.zip (47.4 KB)
I hope you enjoy playing with it as well as making it.

85 Likes

That is really nice!

3 Likes

This is intriguing. Thank you very much.

3 Likes

Super cool, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you very much @dehne1 for sharing! Interesting puzzle.

2 Likes

That is very very cool…I really like how well you thought out the layers to make the box…

This is just perfect. That you for sharing!

3 Likes

Very cool math there! :heart_eyes:

They really want to be built out of Almond wood though that is hard to come by. Making them out of actual almonds would be too small.

1 Like

What a cool puzzle! Thanks so much for sharing it.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Gives me the good kinda itchy brain. Nice work!

3 Likes

Brilliant.

1 Like

Thanks for the share!

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks for this amazing share!

very cool! thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Nice share, especially right now. Thanks!

1 Like

Nicely done, luv it!

1 Like

This is an amazing post

Wow, awesome!! I can’t wait to tell my kids they will have a different type of puzzle to solve before turning on the electronics!! Thank you so much!!

What a wonderful puzzle!