High School Projects

Hi
We received a GF through a grant in January and have experimenting with it this spring semester. Attached are some examples of work students have done. Much of it is pretty simple but it has still been a great learning experience for both myself and the students. Students have ipads to work with, and I have old mac laptops with TurboCAD. We don’t have photoshop or illustrator.

Students in architecture have created drawings of a house of their design. We decided to create 3D models of their houses with cardboard and then some students created 3D models of bathroom and kitchen fixtures with our Flashforge Finder.

This gentleman drew each part in a CAD program and then 3D printed and Glowforged the parts. Pull a string and the fan spins.

This is a woodworking project that would typically be made out of wood by tracing the drawings onto the wood. This gentleman drew each part and cut on Glowforge.

Woodcraft students do a woodburning using a woodburning iron. They create a frame and we engraved some designs into the frame before being assembled.

Tower of Hanoi Puzzle. Typically students cut all the parts but drawing and scanning the circles into the Glowforge makes the circles consistent in shape and size.

Table topper. We produced 30 of these table toppers in a class and gave to teachers in the building. Each table topper was engraved with the teachers name.

Tic Tac Toe - Project was designed and drawn in a CAD program and cut on Glowforge. Puzzle can be stored with all the parts inside the top and bottom and a rubber band holding it together.

And of course, tiles. We have done about 40 tiles with different designs. Best tiles were art students that drew original artwork and engraved into tiles. We made simple frames with the Glowforge as well to go around each tile.

39 Likes

Some great looking projects! :grinning:
(Not sure about the open concept bathroom, but I tend to be old school.) :wink:

6 Likes

Wonderful. You really have done a great job incorporating the Glowforge into the creative process. It seems you have navigated through the difficulties of venting, wifi, shared access, design software, calibration or other errors. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these projects.I especially like the personalized table toppers for the teachers.

1 Like

Yeah I like the idea of giving kids access to this sort of technology. The creative possibilities are pretty great.

1 Like

How many time on a cold night would you really appreciate a warm fireplace :innocent:

4 Likes

:smile: Let you in on the secret to a happy life…heated toilet seats. (We sell them, so we have a couple here. I’ve been so spoiled.)

4 Likes

You have the kids headed in the right direction.

2 Likes

Enjoyed seeing all their projects! What a fabulous opportunity for them.

1 Like

Great job! I just got one for my high school classroom, too. I’m excited to get the kids working with it - after summer vacation!

2 Likes

I am looking forward to seeing how you use it. I found the operation of the machine is simple and students can be checked out on it quickly. For us, the design and creation is the hard part.

Well teacher needs time with the glowforge. If you don’t use it all summer then how will you be able to instruct them and answer questions this fall? It would be totally irresponsible of you not to use it. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s universal :slightly_smiling_face: I think everyone spends more time in their design app than actually lasering things.

3 Likes

My students are 1:1 chromebooks using Google Drawings. Any suggestions?

I just opened Google drawing and was able to make a vector line that will cut. I am not familiar with Google Draw, but I am sure your students will be able to use it with the Glowforge. I just Googled Google Draw vectors and there are tons of Youtube videos.

It’s possible to run inkscape using Linux support… Works pretty well.

I wish my little old high school had neat stuff to learn and do when I was there. I’m jealous.

2 Likes

What school are you with? I would like to learn more. I am at a high school as well and want to get the woods area and other dept’s more involved. I was able to purchase a GF with grant money as well and I run an afterschool program

I had a shop class in Jr High School that we made swan candy dishes in acrylic but we had to cut them out with a saw as I don’t think lasers had been invented yet.

1 Like

We had nothing but the usual activities. No arts department, nothing.it was so small everyone knew literally everyone. Hated it.