Hive help! Can GF help me display pate de verre samples?

Hi All!

I have glass pate de verre samples that show 4 color gradations for dozens of Bullseye glass colors. The samples are 1.5" x .75" x .25 deep. I am thinking about how to display them on a wall (because they are pretty!) and make them accessible so that an artist could pull a few colors off a board and see how colors work together.

I am looking for ideas for what this display may look like and if the GF can help (this isn’t a requirement). The most basic idea is a piece of plywood, painted neutral, and using velcro to mount the tiles. I thought about making outlines on a board with the GF to give each tile a space to sit in with the color numbers etched for each space. Useful or just more work, not sure.

Wood, acrylic, other materials…I’m open to any and all display ideas, thank you!

6 Likes

There is a ‘box with dividers’ on Cuttle that would work to put each bar in. It’s customizable so super easy to create! These are really pretty!

10 Likes

Boxes.py is also very good at divided boxes and is free.

https://www.festi.info/boxes.py/

9 Likes

I’ll echo the box suggestion. Having a neutral divider between the pieces would make it easier to select the correct one on first grab (at least for me). OTOH, if you did it with clear acrylic it would look almost like a stained glass.

The idea of scoring the identifier into the backboard is a good one!

6 Likes

Googled that, I had never heard that term. Cool!

2 Likes

Probably not at all what you’re asking, but if you go with the velcro idea, it might be neat to have a large board and have these things displayed like flowers or fireworks on the board, stuck with velcro, so at least when not being used by an artist, it’s a pretty display :rofl:

4 Likes

Maybe if you had a “base” and another piece with cutouts to fit the glass pieces in it that was glued on top, you could engrave the color numbers underneath each one (so you can easily replace them in the right spot or see which ones might go missing), and rather than using velcro on them to hold them, how about little magnets? You could make the base/cutouts out of either wood or acrylic, just so long as the top layer is thin enough you could easily grab the colors.

5 Likes

I don’t have any good ideas to add for the display, I just wanted to say that I hope you show us your final display and don’t stay away for another 7 years.

7 Likes

I’d go with a metal board and magnets glued to the back of the glass samples. The simpler the better! And since it is glass, you could wipe on black, white, or metallic acrylic paint into the engraved codes so that you can read them easier. You can use the laser to make a title for the frame – “Bullseye Pate de Verre Codes” if you wanted to label it.

6 Likes

Here’s another idea: make a rack of spring clips (like the ones below) that you could snap each sample into. Although this might be a 3D printing job rather than a laser cutting job. Still, it might be possible to design something similar out of wood or acrylic that would provide the functionality.

From here.

9 Likes

I am going to have to cave in and try out Cuttle. It makes things so easy, it seems. I want to do a box for all of my Lego Dimensions figures to hang on the wall. I am just not sure my wall is big enough.

10 Likes

I just had another idea: cut exact outlines of the samples out of thick EVA foam (at least 1/4” thick) in whatever arrangement you like, from a large sheet. Whatever will fit in your laser. You should be able to mount the sheet on sturdy material like wood, and hang it on the wall. Each sample will pop into one of the cut outlines as long as you size them appropriately. You could even add a top layer of veneer so it would look like the samples were embedded in wood.

6 Likes

I still default to designing my own most of the time, but anytime I think “this would be so much easier if it was adjustable” I pop open Cuttle!

4 Likes