HO Scale House

I’m proud of it! It is my first attempt at something really big. I had made a cottage with a removable roof for my D&D campaign but this is the first time I’m stepping into the multiple buildings and multiple sizes area. I’m a technique sponge so I am always watching youtube videos to see how other people do things and see if I can do something similar!

1 Like

@cynd11 I’m still drawing but plan on using mountboard that I also use for picture mounts (I’m a framer). It’s similar to draft board and I have lots!

1 Like

As a model railroader (who now has some space to setup a layout) making buildings with my GF is in the plans.

5 Likes

Love this! Too adorable!

1 Like

During my recent move, I found my old HO train set, and thought to myself… “Self, Do you think we could use the Glowforge to build houses and do this thing up right?”

(Okay, I don’t actually talk to myself that way, but I AM excited to find out the answer to the question is a resounding YES. I predict scrutiny of many building plans, and some serious Sketchup work, in my future.)

3 Likes

Hide some catnip in it and let the cats go for it and film it. Would be fun to watch! Nice detail.

1 Like

Meowthra’s Revenge.

5 Likes

Hahaha! No catnip in this house though. One of ours goes kinda crazy and aggressive with it.

Can’t make it for the cats, make it for the birds! Can just see turning a backyard tree to resemble the final scene on Endor :grinning:

1 Like

I am really jealous! Always loved dioramas.

1 Like

Holy cow!

1 Like

Nice hand craft !! Good!!!

1 Like

WOW. I love seeing your work, and this is another wonderful example of your talent. Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

How rigid do you think this is compared to a thin wood?

Well, I don’t have any thin wood to compare, but it’s pretty rigid. Two advantages over wood: there is no grain or possibility of knots, and it’s really easy to get a nice smooth color using watercolors.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Canson-Watercolor-Gouache-Acrylic-Boards/dp/B01G2IIYCY

Large GF sized pieces(12x16"), seems a bit pricey, at $2.60/sheet.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-plein-air-watercolor-artboard/

Blick has it for $1.88/sheet.

Anyone found a better deal online?

3 Likes

I got mine from Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff, for the 12"x16" it’s $1.71 per sheet.

Awesome, thanks.

Shipping evens the playing field a bit. Cheapest shipping to me for Joe’s is 4.95, which would bring the total price up to $2.20 per sheet.

Since I am a prime customer, if we do apples to apples shipping with Amazon – meaning 2-day shipping for Joe’s – that’s a whopping $24.24, which makes it $4.13/sheet. Ow.

So, is it worth $0.40 to me to get it 4 business days sooner (amazon vs joes cheapest?) and to not have to sign up to yet another ecommerce site? Probably, but then I’m maybe a bit more reluctant to sign up to things than most.

Well, I ordered 3 packs of 8 1/2 x 11 (I knew I’d use it) which lowered the per sheet price some. Even with the $4.95 shipping (which is pretty cheap) I was able to beat Amazon’s price by a bunch. Shipping was fairly quick, too.

1 Like

Yeah the math is all different at scale. :wink: