Holiday Decor Collab

Inspired by observing some glass cooktop cleaner, my mom was reminiscing about decorating the windows with snowflakes when she was a child. She would use a glass cleaner that went on pink but, dried white, dabbed on through stencils. The cooktop cleaner dries to a similar finish.

After a trip to the local craft stores yielded disappointment instead of stencils she liked, I cut some out of cheap cardstock on the Glowforge (I ordered some mylar sheets for any similar future use).

As a bonus, cleanup should be pretty easy.

The cutouts ended up in her tree.

40 Likes

How clever! That’s using everything! :grinning:

6 Likes

Wonderful story and results!

5 Likes

Great shadows. Good execution

5 Likes

Hey, great idea! What kind of cleaner exactly? I use Barkeeper’s Friend on my cooktop but it’s already dry.

2 Likes

It’s Weiman Ceramic and Glass Cooktop Cleaner (Amazon link).

I’m sure there are other options that will work but, probably not Barkeeper’s Friend (which is more of a scouring powder thing).

3 Likes

Fantastic! (adjective, not the cleaner–since I don’t think that would work in this case anyway). Great idea–and so much easier to clean up than paint…

2 Likes

Cute idea! And it’s doing double duty. :santa:

2 Likes

Brilliant.

My mother asked me just yesterday if I could cut out some snowflakes for outside decorations. (Still researching what I can spray on cardstock to help the snowflakes survive what looks to be a damp December.)

She has some nice big picture windows looking out on her patio…

I’m stealing this idea! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Apparently, my niece desperately needs to do this on their windows. So, there is now a Mylar edition of the stencils.

Interesting thing I learned today: 7.5mil Mylar (at least sometimes) comes masked with cling plastic on both sides. Glad I caught that.

2 Likes

Glass Wax. JNJ made it I think but they took it off the market years ago.

2 Likes

Snowflakes are always a favorite. Good of you to assist!

1 Like