Home Depot 1/4" MDF cut settings

Has anyone tried to cut this?! I have tried thick draftboard and it just looks like it scored it. I’m new so I need a lot of help!! Anyone have any success cutting this?

1 Like

First search this forum and then ask if you are still confused grasshopper! :sunglasses:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=home%20depot%20mdf

4 Likes

1/4" MDF can be horrible to cut due to how dense it is. Similar thickness MDF-cored plywood usually cuts much better, as the core used in plywood is often not as dense.

2 Likes

Also be cautious as the glues/additives used in products may release some nasty stuff when it’s laser cut or etch, unless it’s a material designed for it (fortunately more and more laser grade material is becoming available thru many sources, not just GF shop).

But as many have done, find a PF option closest to the material you are trying, and then test & test & test to get the result you are happy with. But also do search within the forum, since rarely has any material not been tried/discussed already… (there are also some great ideas for how to set up testing grids, too).

1 Like

Do a search for cutting 1/4” MDF . Some one put the settings they used. I tried them and they worked great.

2 Likes

I’ve cut this stuff easily in the past using essentially thick draftboard settings, but I just had a nasty fight with a batch that would NOT cut through with a single pass. In addition, the kerf increased from .006 to .014in and the edges need heavy cleaning.

I went ahead and used it for my project (full@130 x2 on my pro) but will be much more hesitant to buy it on the future.

Compared to good batches in the past, this bad batch was a noticably darker.

Tossing my data in the ring here.

I have a sheet of 2x4 1/4" MDF from Home Depot that I bought several years ago (Manufactured Sept 2020 according to the label on it) for a project but life happened and it was all set aside (in home, not garage, so temperature controlled environment). So this is info for an old piece of MDF. It is smooth on both sides.

I tried several test cuts using a hand drawn template. I had to go 3 passes to get it all the way through, although two passes nearly made it - but not quite.

Full power, 125 speed, 3 passes.

A slower speed might have worked on the second pass, but although there was no fire, I saw a few flashes of orange as if it were trying to burn and letting the laser sit on a spot for a little longer might have been a bad idea.

The cut faces will need a lot of cleanup, lots of black dust on them.

Indeed, I’ve had two different pieces of the 1/4" stuff, both new, behave differently. One was slightly darker and oh so hard to cut; three passes and so much char.

2 Likes

Store-bought MDF is very inconsistent, which is why people are willing to pay for Glowforge Proofgrade - it’s designed for the laser, and very consistent.

Also, 1/4" anything is pushing the limits of the machine. I am well aware many owners use it, but a 40W laser is really best suited to thinner materials. 5/32 Columbia Forest ply is as thick as I use, with the very rare exception of using some of the 1/4" MDF I have leftover from my CNC router - and that’s only when making parts for tools, like a tumbler I built.

2 Likes