Home depot ftw

Glad home depot cuts wood for you for free (didn’t charge me anything to cut all those 12x20 panels). Just wish the wood was a little better quality. A few of those have a bit of a warp in them.

18 Likes

Fortunate. It can vary by store (or employee) as to how many cuts they will make for free, although the charge per-cut is small. My main store for many years would only make two for free.

2 Likes

Yeah they had a sign up that 2 cuts free and each additional cut was 25 cents. I was ready to pay the extra, but they didn’t do it. I had 4 panels with 5 cuts apiece. So that was either 18 free cuts or 12 depending on whether they meant 2 cuts per board. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve found out that if you chat them up and just BS with them, they will let it slide. I got to be friends with one and did custom work for him and only use him for my cuts now.

3 Likes

I think they changed their policy a while back. Used to be 2 free cuts then a small charge afterwards but lately they say as many as you want for free.

3 Likes

That is awesome! Would definitely save a bunch of time, and get better cuts than what I’m doing :slight_smile: and then I could load them all into that Corvette, and life would be a dream. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have them cut it at 5 - 19" x 48" sheets and use the passthrough to take it down farther. Next time I intend to bring along a roll of masking tape so the cuts are cleaner. If they give a problem Lowes is usually quite nearby.

3 Likes

our home depot charge .25 a cut. I went to check out trying to get them understand that it not .50 a board 12 inch is 1 cut

I think that the charge is just to get the employes a reason to avoid every customer asking them to cut small pieces. I have been to Home depot and Lowes and never had them charge for cutting but spent over a hundred dollars each time.

1 Like

yeah they didn’t even mention extra charges to me. I was waiting for them to put a tag on the stack of boards saying how many cuts and the guy just walked off. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, what is that about? WHY does Lowes always go in next to Home Depot?

1 Like

A case of stalking I think, The few cases I know about HD is first and then Lowes or Lowes spends more time on exterior/parking lot maintenance. Given all I know about HD I check out Lowes preferentially.

2 Likes

I didn’t know they would do this! We have a sawsall, so we can make our own cuts for boards that are too long, but this could be useful.

I get the 4’ x 8’ sheets cut up as much for the ease of getting them home and stored as anything else.

A panel saw is one of those things that I wish I had room for.

2 Likes

Had a bad experience dealing with incompetent employees at my local Lowes so I refuse to ever go back. I can almost see the place from my house but I drive 20 minutes to HD every time.

2 Likes

Same reason Wendy’s is almost always near a McDonald’s - let the big guy do all the work finding & evaluating a site, deal with whatever local politics might be a problem and get zoning changed. Then jump in and build yours with everything greased nicely.

3 Likes

lol…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.