Honeycomb bed holdown pins

i had to bump up the size a bit to get them to work well with my tray.

There is a more recent design that works across a broad thickness range of materials and provides much more force if needed. This has been invaluable for some materials that are significantly warped. I can not find the post, or even the file on my machine, but I printed a bunch of them and they work great. They do not depend on the width of the honeycomb, but instead clip onto the bottom of it, then are wedged in-place.

The originals still work fine, my “ultimate” version work better for me, but these are really great and would work for anyone. Sorry I can’t find the source, but from this pic, it would be trivial to recreate.

13 Likes

brilliant design.

I recreated them for those that want to try them. Took all of 2 minutes in Inkscape.

THIS IS NOT MY ORIGINAL IDEA.

I wish I could find the post/user that came up with them, I can’t even find the file on my computer to track it down. But they are really handy, so hopefully this helps others…

clips.svg.zip (855 Bytes)

10 Likes

I’ll add - as can be seen in my pic, I have these and also the “traditional” pins in a box on my machine.

My “ultimate” pins work much better for me, the design is shared here. Strictly based on the original from this thread, but improved to work better for me.

Sometimes, the ones that grip inside the honeycomb simply don’t work, so this other design can help. So print up a bunch and keep them handy! I made up dozens from scraps.

3 Likes

I believe this is the post @o-o and @eflyguy are referring to:

Warp Wedge Pins

12 Likes

Thanks, these will come in handy : )

1 Like

That’s the one! Thanks!

2 Likes

yes I have found that tool changing the angle and presto the pin works.

Did you share the file for these? TIA!!!

He posts them to his own website (there’s a trail of breadcrumbs if you read through his posts, but it’s: www.designsbyphil.com)

FYI, if you click on someone’s icon you can see a link to posts within a topic

sooo late to the party here but I just printed a set and WOW!
for months I’ve been like… naaaaah I don’t need them, but I have this horribly warped acrylic I’ve been wanting to use and figured I’d give this a shot. I can’t believe how well they work.
THANK YOU for these a million times over!

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing, these are so helpful!

1 Like

Love that holder!!

when cut this file, they came out a little too big. I’m not sure the exact size they should be. Can you help?

THanks,
Michelle

The honeycomb trays are not all the same, so you may have to adjust the pins file slightly. Here is the size mine are:
pins

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me! And for the file.

Thanks so much for these! They are very helpful. Not just for holding down materials but for positioning the materials straight on the bed.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I have had my glowforge for about a week and use these pins often. Thank you.

6 Likes