Warp Wedges

As I use quite a bit of cheapo ply, ~0.2" thick mainly from my local Lowes store, and most of it warps as soon as you look at it, I’ve needed a heavy duty hold down that I can laser cut.
I’ve tried the hold down pins, but found that they pull out with the strength of this ply, so I’ve designed my own.
Step forward the Warp Wedge.
Much stronger than it looks, due to being in tension, the lower hook locks onto the lower face of the honey comb, and the cut out wedge slides under the top hook giving a variable gap above the honey comb to pull down the warped ply.
Should hold down ~1/8" - ~1/4", but please feel free to modify to suit your needs.warp_wedge

This will give you 4 sets out of a piece of draftboard(recommended) 1.5" x 1.25".
Enjoy, but please let me know if you come up with improvements.
John
:upside_down_face:
PS the inkscape file is in outline mode, my favourite for designing.warp_wedge

32 Likes

Glad you explained how to use them! Looks like a great design. :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Stole the 10 pound weights from the youngest, then bought a few more ( he is too proud to look at a 10 lb one so…).
I keep a weight on either end of a flat stack and they resist warping fairly well.
Loose or not flat and asking for problems.

Another thing I am doing is adding masking on demand. Seems the longer it is on the harder it becomes to remove.
(Makes sense. It is a glue after all, and will eventually set up).

4 Likes

Good to have you back in the U.S., John. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your file. Will certainly cut some soon.

1 Like

Thanks Russell, it’s good to be here. No doubt we’ll see you soon - can’t have too much veneer !

1 Like

And after all those magnets I got…

1 Like

I could not find the file for these. Where can I look?

it is very faint RED in the middle of the white space in the original post.

there is something screwy that when people upload SVG’s they get “shrunk”.

Just a quick reply - I’ll go looking for the original file, and repost.
John
EDIT
Changed the outline to 0.25mm red, so as to make it easier to see.warp_wedge

5 Likes

1 Like

Found it, Thank You!

thank you

Could someone please share a picture of this lovely andn useful sounding wedge in action? I am clearly a bit dense but I cannot visualize how it works based on the description. :rofl:

4 Likes

I hope this crude sketch gives you an explanation.
Johnwarp_wedge_in_use

7 Likes

Yes! It absolutely does! Totally makes sense now. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that, and for creating & sharing the wedge initially. I struggle with my 1/4" board corners lifting sometimes and this will be incredibly helpful.

2 Likes

You ain’t alone!

2 Likes

(Repeatedly slaps forehead)

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you and a million times thank you!!! The pins are the worst, they break every dang time but this is most amazing and works like a charm. Thanks again!