Honeycomb bed holdown pins

Big thanks for these. I cut a bunch of them out of scrap board, and all of my cuts have been better since. I used these pins and box of Zeiss lens wipes to “stack the deck” for everything now.

2 Likes

Had to use something beside magnets and remembered this.

Nice job. Worked swell with 0.20 scraps.

1 Like

i actually adapted these for the honeycomb in the universal laser at work (had to make them slightly bigger). occasionally frustrated with the aluminum honeycomb it has because i can’t use magnets, so these helped with a cut i did with some warped BB last week.

7 Likes

Out of the box thinking is good.
If you have that warped board you want to use and the Actual Middle is going to be scrap, punch a fast hole in the middle and you can also hold it down there as well as the edges.

Worked for me…

4 Likes

it’s funny, i have a very different perspective on using the laser cutter than my architect coworkers. they’re used to working with our main model shop who has a very strict process on how they do things. very useful there because they crank out a ridiculous volume of architectural models, but always a PITA if i want to work with them.

so here i come and just do random stuff, like i do at home. and i’m way happier working w/our own machine because i can just do what i want (within safety and reason). i’m just hoping our architects learn to step outside their own boxes and get a little creative with how they use it.

6 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.

2 Likes

These are great! I was just about to design something to hold down material before I came across this. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

These are the second thing I printed. I think these should be mandatory even! I use them pretty much every print I do. To line up items or hold the down. These are the way to go.

2 Likes

These are absolutely genius. Sometimes it’s the seemingly simplest solutions that are the absolute best. I LOVE MINE. You should be selling this!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! These are a great idea. I tried to upload the file today to make some, but the gfui isn’t having it. Has anyone else had trouble with the file?

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!! very very helpful!!..

1 Like

Assuming you downloaded the .ZIP file, you need to “expand” that/extract the files within. Windows will often allow you to view the contents without actually creating the files, so you will not see the .SVG file to upload - try right-clicking on the .ZIP and see if there are options to extract/expand, then you should have a new folder with the .SVG files inside.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’ve already done all of that. It’s uploading the actual SVG file that is failing. I even redrew the pin to see if it would help. The new file also fails to upload. As did several other files yesterday. I don’t think it’s what I’m doing, I think there may be a server issue. I’ve seen comments from several other people who were also having trouble uploading files.

2 Likes

I just downloaded the original file posted above and you are correct - it will not open in the GFUI. The project I created when I downloaded that same file back when this thread was started still opens and cuts as designed. So the import feature appears to be broken at the moment, which is strange, as I’ve been uploading designs all day as I work on a project…

1 Like

Jules made a comment on another thread about SVG files from Corel and Affinity programs not currently loading. Seems to be the common problem right now. Bet they changed a line in the code and it borked the two program’s translations for the GFUI. Hoping it gets fixed soon.

1 Like

It’s been fixed. Try again.

1 Like

@eljefe4 - Thank you!! These are awesome. Finally got the SVG to upload, and ended up using the pins on the next thing I cut. These are pretty much exactly what I was thinking I needed for a couple of things I cut last week. Super cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Happiness is a fresh set of honeycomb bed holddown pins.”

15 Likes

Or a dozen. Because you can. :wink:

3 Likes

A very useful tool, thanks for sharing

1 Like