Honu inlay with living hinge elliptical framing

Aloha from Hawaii!

Here’s my first try with inlays and this type of living hinge design. To create, I used the Inkspace elliptical box generator (https://www.instructables.com/id/Generating-elliptical-boxes-using-a-laser-cutter-a/) to create a 240mm x 120mm x 20mm box with a “lid” angle of 179.9 degrees. In doing so, this created an elliptical box with dimensions that can still fit inside the Glowforge, though close to maxing it out. The lid then became the upper half of the frame border and the frame looked symetrical. Everything came together quite snugly when accounting for the depth of the Proofgrade material, requiring very little glue.

The turtle/honu tribal inlay was CAM’ed out via Fusion360. So far, I’ve made three of these but am most pleased with how the Proofgrade cherry and basswood inlay designs both came out. I did another on non-proofgrade birch plywood where I stained the living hinge and the honu inlay and then coated everything with poly. It also turned out well, but it was SO much easier to go with Proofgrade where no finish work was required. For each, medium draftboard with a simple hole for hanging was used as the backing.

Happy to hear thoughts or recommendations for improvement.

Aloha, Crispy

57 Likes

Really exquisite :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Fabulous inlays! and a great idea to use a living hinge as framing…

2 Likes

Those are very interesting love the living hinge nice job.

3 Likes

Wow, those are gorgeous!

4 Likes

Lovely! :grinning:

4 Likes

Very well done and pretty.

4 Likes

Mahalo! Very cool. Nicely done.

4 Likes

It’s just lovely, and so cool that you got two for one—no waste!

3 Likes

Amazing

3 Likes

Very well done.

3 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

Exactly! I always try to make the most out of materials. Very little scrap on this project :smile:

So beautiful!!! Can’t wait to see what you make next!!

4 Likes

Wow that is incredible

2 Likes

Great work. I tried using the extension and it kicks out several errors. I am on a Mac using X11 - does anyone else have this problem? Here are the error codes coming back:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “ell_box.py”, line 230, in
effect.affect()
File “/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 278, in affect
self.getoptions(args)
File “/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 174, in getoptions
self.options, self.args = self.OptionParser.parse_args(args)
AttributeError: EllipticalBox instance has no attribute ‘OptionParser’

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam, thanks for the compliment! I am using Windows 10 and the Inkscape plugin seemed to install ok. I know the page for the elliptical box plugin had a little bit of support from the brilliant software developer. Perhaps he left an email or responds to comments on his page. Other than that, I’m probably the worst person to give good advice on making software function on a Mac. Wishing you luck though! -Nick

1 Like