How are the layers created with theses Mandalas

Another superb insight mate thank you :+1: :+1:… I didn’t know blending compound shapes would pose a problem… the designs I’ve played with look fine e.g. I made this, each layer is a compound path:

But I take your point that compound shapes will behave differently… so it’s best I release the compound path and group the stroked lines :+1:

thanks again for your help… I shall have a play with offsetting more… I’ve got so much to learn :joy:

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing the steps! I’ll be trying this in Inkscape.

3 Likes

For the concentric parts - an easily adjustable and quick method in Illustrator would be to stack multiple strokes in the Appearance panel. This works equally well on compound and simple shapes. Once you’re happy with the design expand it all to get the correct cut lines. In your example photo it looks like it could be done with 3 or 4 base shapes.

2 Likes

Thank you for the write-up. I don’t use Illustrator, but your steps will give guidance to work through. :grinning:

1 Like

The big assumption here is that you want your profiles to expand in both directions, and equally at that. To achieve a profile that is not vertically symmetrical (such as straight or an “undercut”), you’ll need a different method. I can visualize how to do it, and it’s close to your method but it requires expanding each layer separately, then breaking the expanded stroke apart, discarding the one you don’t want, and expanding the resulting “half expansion” on its own. Adjusting the offset for each step will yield almost any profile you want.

It’s a lot more hands on, so I’d work with the end design’s symmetry. For example, if it has radial symmetry with 8 lobes, I would work with an 8th of the design, then copy/clone and rotate them into place so I can see what’s happening overall and work on the main repeating base.

Once I was happy with the end result, I’d unclone and join the 8 copies. Manual node manipulation like this is not always fun, but it would save you so much time here.

1 Like

Not true in Illustrator. Strokes have three possible positions: outside, centered and inside. I stand by my original statement.

1 Like

Ahh that’s a nice little feature. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

There all sorts of fun options for strokes!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.