How can I tell when my air filter needs replacing?

So there’s a lot of questions about replacing and how long and what have you. So now how do I tell if it actually needs replacing? There’s no sensor. Is there a way to look at the filter or some symptoms that it’s needing to be replaced?

When you start to notice some smoke or odor when the machine is in-use, turn up the dial. If you’re at max… the filter is clogged.

It’s covered in the owners manual.

1 Like

You can also take the hose off and turn the filter on and put your hand over the intake. If there is no air movement the filter is full. The amount of stuff moving into the filter varies so at first it might be only when making a lot of smoke that the filter cannot keep up.

1 Like

It’s always had smoke and odor even when it was brand new… Heh

I’ll try this. Thanks.

1 Like

That would suggest your exhaust hose connections are leaking. I have an extended exhaust run greater than 20 feet and I have zero smell during operation, but I had to seal every joint and seam in the vent pipe with a bead of caulk.

1 Like

Nothing is coming from the connections. It comes from the front and top of the Glowforge which is normal I think because it’s not in an air tight seal.

The exhaust fan moves more CFM than the intake so by design, the machine should be sucking air in every crack. if it isn’t, there is a restriction in the exhaust. I recommend you check the exhaust fan grill for clogging. Pull the hose off the rear of the machine and look at the fan grill.

2 Likes

It’s blowing. There was some buildup there, but I cleaned that out. Overall when anything comes out the front and top is when the smoke inside is built up and the filter just isn’t keeping up. It’s not a lot that comes out…small drifts.

1 Like

From my perception your filter is near full. When the filter is face-loaded it presents a restriction in airflow. That is your first clue filter replacement is at hand. Ouch.

That stinks. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

People say this all the time, but I’m a bit skeptical. I have always gotten some odor straight from the machine (from the case openings in front). I have a very sensitive sense of smell. My husband, who does not, can”t smell anything.

1 Like

I suppose that is possible depending on one’s olfactory sensitivity. I’m not one who finds it necessary to bag up material that has been lasered because of the burnt smell.

Even a slight smell had me working for a month to nail the venting, but I stand by my perception. I am often positioned right in front of it observing the cloud of smoke generated, and nothing - as opposed to when I open the lid and get a strong odor.
I also have a wide open exhaust port, no fan and no grill to present any obstruction to airflow so my machine breathes better than any that do.
I wonder how the employees at Glowforge feel where they have multiple machines running.

I’ve determined that my filter was shot. Too bad since I just got this thing not long ago. I’m going to replace it but only use that indoor filter for scoring I guess. I’ll filter through a window for engraving and cutting.

It also depends on which filter you have. The Compact Filter doesn’t have any indication of being full other than that it’s not working. The Glowforge Air Filter is supposed to start beeping when it’s full. I haven’t seen anyone talking about that, so either they haven’t been around long enough, or that feature doesn’t really work very well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.