How can you ship in June if Beta units are 3 months behind

After 30 odd years of work life, my experience is that you will find people chomping at the bit to give you good news, but waiting until the bus is about to run off the edge of a cliff before spitting out the bad stuff. June?!! I think that’s probably all but a dream at this point. :smirk:

But I’m OK with that. I’d rather have the kick ass product a year late than not at all.

1 Like

I can totally relate to your story. I Own a '55 and a '69 Beetle, but I also own a '81 VW Pick-up that I brought to a local man who gave me a ‘great quote’ on a full restoration and a 3 month time frame. It is 2 years later and I am still trying to get him to finish the work. There’s always excuses and reasons, but it is very unpleasant being on the receiving end them.

2 Likes

I’d rather wait for a great product than receive an early unfinished one, but I’ll be feeling a lot better when GF announces that at least some sort of units are in beta testers hands. At some point, I’ll also be hoping for public comments from beta testers.

I do think that GF could have better clarified expectations and that has me concerned more than the beta delay.

1 Like

In my opinion, this isnt a crowdfunded campaign, so they really should have been a little more accurate with their timeline before telling people when they were going to be shipping (the december thing). Even in crowdfunding, while its expected because most people are inexperienced in manufacturing, its still frowned upon to ship late. Its frustrating to say the least. None of this was disclosed in the process of buying a glowforge.

Do I understand the need to get things right before shipment? Absolutely. Which is why I have been patient. We are powerless to advance this process in any way.

HOWEVER, I am not in the ‘however long it takes’ camp. They made a promise, and have had my money for months on end. I would have purchased something else if they would have said it wont be available for a year and a half. I bought a laser to USE it, not to help a company get off the ground.

Having said all that, I am perfectly fine with everything that has transpired to this point with glowforge, and they seem like an awesome company and group of talented people. As long as they hold true to their timelines and continue to operate in the honest manner they have I will recommend them highly to anyone that asks.

8 Likes

I really appreciate that you all trust us enough to share this stuff here. We’re working really, really hard not to let you down.

As you know, we’re trying to walk a fine line. On the one hand, we love sharing really cool details about what’s going on with you, our amazing supporters. On the other, we’re wary about tipping our hands to those who’d like to know how we do what we do, and those who would prefer to see some egg on our face. We’ll no doubt get plenty of egg on our own faces without any outside help. Ahem.

We’ve continued making steady progress to shipping on time. We’ve had loads of setbacks, but we scheduled enough time to account for them. We think we can do it - but things are down to the wire, and we’re going to prioritize the quality of your Glowforge above everything else.

I was at Uncle’s Games today with my kids when someone stuck his hand out and said, “I can’t wait to get my Glowforge!” My daughter chimed in and said, “It’s pretty great.” That doesn’t happen all that often, but even when I’m not running into one of you in person, believe me that I’m thinking just about every minute of the day about how we can be incredibly awesome for you.

We’re on schedule. If that changes, we’ll let you know ASAP. We’re working like mad to make sure it doesn’t.

Thanks, as always, for entrusting us with your dreams, your excitement, and - not least - your hard earned dollars. We know you deserve something awesome. (And punctual).

–dan

35 Likes

Thanks @dan and team for your hard work! We’re all cheering you on!

That’s assumed, but really good to read in black and white, nonetheless.

1 Like

Thank you so much Dan. I have been so excited since I ordered my Glowforge. I am anxiously waiting for it. But I do want it to be wonderful. Thanks for making that a priority.

1 Like

This is exactly what I want to hear. I don’t need to know the details necessary (althought that is always nice) but hearing that things are still okay is brilliant. Thanks @dan.

2 Likes

You bet!

1 Like

I love reading all of these posts and loved all the bug stories. I sold my show ready '63 VW Ragtop, to purchase my Glowforge, so I am very excited to experience what I have traded it for.

m

4 Likes

Beautiful work. A true sacrifice my friend.

3 Likes

That is beautiful!
Need a project? :grin:

My '73 super is my daily driver.
Fortunately I work from home.
Not sure it is worth as much as a Glowforge at this point.

3 Likes

It is clear you loved that car! Beautiful.
I don’t think I could part with my rebuilt '66 Mustang - even for a forge.
I have a feeling you will be happy with your decision :sunglasses:

SO JEALOUS!!!

The forum wouldn’t let me post just that as apparently that is not descriptive enough. So it bears repeating…

SO JEALOUS!!!

That’s truly gorgeous @pauljwarrick - we’ll do you proud with your GF!

1 Like

Thank you @dan for updating us. I was getting a little antsy. My decision to buy took a bit of research and juggling as I am a very small business, so parting with the money was like giving birth. When I think of how much leather I could have bought with that, then think about what I can produce once I get my glowforge… I’m excited. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hahaha! I can identify!
I love a good laugh, thanks for that!
I had my mouse hovering over the “Buy Now” button, biting my lip, as the clock was ticking toward the presale closing.:no_mouth:

Antsy - I have felt it too, then Dan pops in with an update “still on schedule” - and what would be analogous with the contraction relaxes…:disappointed_relieved:

As long as we’re sharing…This is “Lucille” my 1955 Beetle

11 Likes

Fortunately I kept my bug and got the Glowforge. This should be the bug thread!

11 Likes