How do I figure out what kinds of fabrics to use?

Hello, how do I know which fabrics I can try in the glowforge without ruining it or creating toxic fumes? I have lots of fabrics with various type of fiber content. I can figure out if they are natural or synthetic, and if natural what fiber, but that’s about all the info I have on them.

These are fabricsI’ve collected over time from various fabric stores and it’s not easy to figure out the manufacturer. They don’t come with MSDS.

So how do I know which ones won’t “ruin the glowforge?”

Thanks!

(Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I did searches and couldn’t find an answer.)

Moving this to “Beyond the Manual” because Glowforge currently has limited support for the wide range of answers this question will generate - (ie.- they only provide support for leather).

Safe and acceptable fibers: almost anything natural, except mineral fibers.
https://www.apparelsearch.com/terms/n/natural_fibers_list.html

Perhaps safe, but needing research: manmade fibers.

And the old standby, since manmade fiber is just plastic:

Thanks! I don’t mind experimenting as long as I don’t permanently damage the glowforge.

Very helpful to have this link to plastics!

Very helpful info, thank you.

What about the dyes used to color the fabrics? Might there be any issue with burning them?

I don’t believe so, even if there was. The % amount that makes up for colouration would be very low, realistically not worth worrying about.