How do I rotate a picture in Glowforge GUFI?

I may be missing a simple thing…
But sometimes when I put a .jpeg into GUFI, I get the little rotate tag attached to the pic and sometimes I dont.

Is there something I can do to have it there always? Can I turn it on off? Why is it there sometimes?

At this time you can only rotate vectors, not bitmaps (like .jpg, .png, etc). So you will only see the rotate symbol when the item is vector only.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I will have to start saving my files as vector files…

Or just rotate the image in a raster based program like Photoshop or Gimp before you bring it into the interface. (Easier.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just to continue for my own benefit.
In my work flow, I will need to add a small jpg to a vector drawing, and there will be perhaps 12 individual drawings, each with a different jpg related to them.
The initial layout has a common point of reference for the 12, ie a pivot point
Yes, you guessed, it’s to be a fan !
It will then become necessary for me to rotate each pair, vector plus its jpg by a different amount, and drag then into a completely new arrangement to minimise waste.

So far I’ve only been doing vector cuts, and have had no problems, but looking ahead, I shall want to include engraves, so I see the possible problem ahead.
Any advice on coping with the pitfalls, head of time ?
:upside_down_face:

Yep! Rotate the images radially inside a program like Illustrator or Inkscape, and line them up with your fan blades, but then (and this is very important), rasterize them again before you save the SVG file.

They need to be rasterized in the orientation that they will appear in the GFUI. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

OK, so just for simplicity let’s consider one piece.
I have it drawn as a vector, and I import the jpg, swing it around (I use inkscape) till it lines up inside the drawing.
Now I need to rotate the whole part, vector plus jpg to orientate it in my workpiece.
Do I then, just select the jpg, re-rasterise that, then export the untouched vector plus new version of the jpg (possibly saving, en-route ) ?
John

Yep! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great. Many thanks, and the hedgie force be with you.

1 Like

Or just use Corel. It actually rotates them, doesn’t just apply a rotation tag and rely on the rendering app to get it right. :smiling_face:

1 Like

I wish !
I’ve been getting to grips with inkscape because of the difficulty of running corel (my preference) in ubuntu 14.04 (also my preference).

1 Like