How do I turn it off?

Total noob here. I just got my glowforge today. I got it all set up but I haven’t been able to print a single thing. It immediately give me the “cooling” error. :frowning: I’ve written support, but in the mean time, how do I just make it stop? The fan is running and its quite loud. (Which is one thing if it’s actually printing/cutting, but it’s not.) It’s just been over there for about 40 minutes running on high. I’ve given up on printing until I hear back from support, but for now how do I turn it off?? I don’t want to just flip the power switch or unplug it and mess something up. Clicking “cancel” does nothing. Pushing the button does nothing (which is white - does that mean anything??).

Just flip the switch on the back.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was worried that maybe it was in the middle of something that I would mess up.

What is the ambient temperature in the room near the GF?
and do you have a Basic or a Pro?

From their support page
"Print when the ambient temperature is within the following ranges. Printing outside these ranges may cause your print to pause periodically or fail to complete.

Basic and Plus: Between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 Celsius)
Pro: Between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius)"

No idea what the temps are where you are located - but if it’s warm at all, it probably is over temp. It has been riding around in an enclosed truck with no AC. Might take a couple of hours to cool down :slight_smile:

I have the basic. I am in TX, so it is quite hot outside. I don’t know the exact temperature in here, but it’s inside my house, where the temp is fully within the safe range, then I have a fan directing the air from the AC straight to it to make sure it’s nice and cool. It is near a window, but the window faces a covered patio area, so there’s no direct sunlight. I don’t know if this could have anything to do with it, but when UPS dropped it off this morning, the box was really damaged. I was wondering if it could just be damaged from shipping?

Me too. If you have anything like this at your place:

It just needs to cool off. Inside the back of the truck is even hotter.

It’s not so much the ambient temps but the coolant temperature. The ambient temps are a guideline to go by in normal situations. Just give it a few hours in the AC to acclimate (drop coolant temp) and you should be fine.

1 Like

Good to hear! Thank you! I’ll give it another try in a bit.

Just remember that if the air temperature outside a GF Basic is over 75F, no amount of time or air flow will bring the temperature within range. And at the high end of the operating temperature range the unit is likely to pause for cooling during long engraves.

Cool air is a GF unit’s best friend.

1 Like

Just a quick lid lift will stop it trying to print, if you wanted to turn it OFF without using the power switch.
Also comes in handy when you realize it is not starting in a good place.
I have done several ‘yikes’ over time.

6 Likes

Done that myself, many times. Has saved long drawn out mistakes.

2 Likes

Me three.

1 Like

Oh coincidentally, I actually put together a writeup showing how to do it:

3 Likes

Of course you did because you are awesome like that! :grin:

2 Likes

I believe that’s “tritto.”

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, community!

@yvette
I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.

1 Like