How else would you store your raw stock?

Very nice that you were able to work up something to handle your stock. You’ll quickly find that you will need a lot of storage.

2 Likes

Boy, that’s got to be the understatement of the year! :smile:

I’ve pretty much thrown in the towel and now just riding the wave…

1 Like

The floor on the unfinished side of my basement is collecting materials quite nicely.

3 Likes

All flat surfaces in my basement are collecting unused materials and large totes are collecting cutoffs.

5 Likes

I store materials on the second floor, while the Glowforge is in the basement. Makes extra steps … but, never have to wonder if the humidity might be a problem. Our basement isn’t overly humid … but … erring on the side of caution.

1 Like

I have shelving dedicated … then there are piles of various materials I felt I had to buy that there just isn’t more room on the shelf. I am rather diligent keeping some organization though. I like to be able to grab and go!

Haven’t gotten to use everything yet … but, of course, there is always more to buy.

1 Like

That and the first floor is already full.

3 Likes

I haven’t gotten my Dragon yet, but do a lot of stained glass work and store it all on edge… I would basically take your design and flip onto its back, and make it in various sizes.

1 Like

You’ll get a lot more warp that way. I learned my lesson and now store everything flat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I have that problem, but I have only one floor :anguished:

2 Likes

I am hoping to change to laying stuff flat, but in the meantime, it is all compressed together with the equivalent of giant active bookends that seems to help.

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that… glass doesn’t warp! Lol… maybe if I pack it tight between my glass sheets… hmmmm

Like the principle that a bundle of sticks are stronger than each the lack of warp of the first is not as important as the compression of all of them. Under gravity the flat of the top sheet matters but unless the glass is a half inch thick it could bend by the amount of the usual warp easily enough, even if it did not keep it. On the other hand if you made a sandwich of half inch ply and all the other sheets in the middle held tight with a couple of clamps. the effects of gravity the orientation of the bundle would not have much effect. :thinking:

That of course is the extreme example

Lol… it’s all moot till the Dragon arrives and I have materials to prevent warpping!

I decided the other day I needed some additional space for storage / organization. Someone had the Ikea Alex listed on Facebook for sale, showing as “Pending” and after no response, I decided not to wait. Rather than buying a new “Alex” (in case I actually was able to purchase the used one for $40), I decided to take an approach inspired by this post.

In my closet (under the stairs) attached to my office with the Glowforge, there was a column of unused space that measured about 22 inches wide, with a support pole on one side and some electrical conduit on the other.

Luckily, there were two studs positioned just right to use ClosetMaid ShelfTrack, and since the support weight for regular shelftrack is 60-75 lbs per linear foot… a nearly 2 foot shelf should hold PLENTY of PG materials if the shelves aren’t too tall.

Got it up with the first 8 shelves, and the plan is for another trip to Home Depot today to get another 4 shelves (22 inch sections cut for free from a 96 inch shelf, for about 2.50 /shelf, plus about $10 / shelf for the brackets).

The additional 4 shelves will allow me to split up every type of wood / plywood, and just have the Acrylic colors sharing a shelf.

Here’s what it looks like right now, with most of my supplies loaded on:

Once the additional shelves are up and stocked, I guess I’ll have to make labels for each material type!

10 Likes

Oo, I like that. I wish I had that kind of space next to my :glowforge:.

(That’s also an impressive array of stock to work with. I clearly need to up my stock game.)

3 Likes

How about getting two of those damn things close to each other with a wee bit of flesh in the way… OUCH