How has your experience been?

So I purchased my GF last Friday, paid for the 3 day delivery. Got it Wednesday, it did 2 ruler cuts then quit working. It’s taking customer support HOURS to respond to emails (which really makes no sense because it’s an email which means it’s an instant delivery) any who, they gave me the option for a replacement machine. They are telling me 7-10 days. Which has me irritated because I just got this one and paid the $95 3 day delivery fee. It all has me a little “gun shy” I guess is the phrase to use here?? Mostly because I’ve read where it has taken some people anywhere from weeks to months to actually get a replacement machine. The whole thing really has me stressed out and questioning my decision. Which is why I’m asking how has your experience been when having to get a replacement machine. I mean if it’s going to take them weeks to months to actually get me a new one delivered I’d rather have a refund. I’m disappointed about this whole experience. I’ve worked my butt off to save for this machine and it stops working after 2 cuts…just makes me want to ugly girl cry

Please don’t cry. :slight_smile:
The replacement timing has varied quite a bit from what I’ve seen, so there isn’t really an answer to your question, especially since everything is running slower than normal.

I would be just as irritated, but honestly, there’s not much you can do about it at this point. My suggestion (for what it’s worth) is to spend your time and energy designing and otherwise honing your skills, reading through the forum, etc., so you won’t have any delays later on that you can avoid.

I’m not sure they will refund at this point, but I guess it’s worth a try. I love my GF and I think you’ll probably love yours, too. It just sucks to get off to a bad start.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s an email, but with 23,000+ customers to support, and a bunch of them constantly creating duplicate tickets, I can imagine it taking a while to get to every one of them. Hours is actually pretty awesome – the Christmas rush (followed closely by the pandemic!) kicked them in the butts and it was taking up to 3 days for a response.

7 Likes

Lot of happy campers. A sad story isn’t really an anomaly, but more happy than sad, it depends on the machine.
Keep in mind that every new car dealer has a garage attached, because Stuff™ happens.

As a curiosity, is the fast replacement a new or rebuilt machine? Just asking because I have seen people disappointed when they got a used/refurbished replacement (and I can understand that from both sides of the transaction).
If memory serves, another brand spanky new one took longer to deliver.

4 Likes

My experience has only been positive. I know how a negative start with an expensive item can cause major stress. I would strongly recommend going through the process and getting your unit repaired. The Glowforge is excellent value. I have explored options and the next price point is double the cost (Dremel) and for about 4 to 6 times as much you are able to get into a professional machine like an Epilogue. I love my Glowforge, and have had no issues with it.

1 Like

Keep in mind that every single machine is tested in the factory - so every single machine is a little bit used. We’ve had a few folks on here think they were being cheated when what they were getting was quality control!

2 Likes

I am also waiting for my replacement. I waited 5 weeks for my machine to come then it only worked for two weeks. Now I’m told it will be a few more weeks before my replacement ships. It’s so aggravating. I loved my GF so much while it worked. Hope you have gotten your replacement by now and it’s running smoothly.

1 Like

Oh yes - my replacement was quite a while ago. I’ve used the 2nd machine ever since. Fingers crossed your story ends the same way!

While I don’t know the numbers, I suspect it is because service is more profitable than new car sales.

Edit: I found this in Edmunds.com:

“ So where does the majority of a dealership’s profit come from? It’s not from car sales, at least not directly. It’s from the service and parts department, which accounts for the other 49.6% of the dealership’s gross profits, according to NADA.”

1 Like

Which proves my point that Stuff™ happens.

Guy I worked for was manager for repair at Staten Island Ford and he claims a dealer should be able to make all payroll from repair work alone.

The only time any vehicle of mine has been back to a stealership is when something failed that was covered under warranty. That’s twice in 25 years, iirc.

My last new vehicle purchase, I flew to Indiana, the dealer picked me up at the airport an hour away from them, then I drove my vehicle 500 miles home overnight.

As this is a family-friendly forum, I’ll reserve my final comment on what I think of dealers for this brand in this little village known as Atlanta.

3 Likes

I’ll follow up my comment to clarify that he claims that specifically warranty repair work should cover all payroll and most expenses.
Dealers charge the manufacturer the same way they charge us only they can push through paperwork like any good bureaucracy and the car companies will usually just pay it.

Also, that was back in the 90s.

1 Like

Yup. With the exception that most warranty items have a flat rate repair cost, so the dealer doesn’t get to charge what they might a customer for the same work performed out of warranty.

That doesn’t stop them from making stuff up and making unnecessary “repairs”…

2 Likes

If I recall the big money story properly, Fords had a thing for certain bad transmissions that ford said would need 4 hours to repair. The shop figured out they could buy an ultrasonic machine, do the cleaning, and finish the job in an hour and a half and bill for the the full four. Stuff like that.

1 Like

That’s how most (official) authorized repair work by manufacturers and authorized dealers is charged. It’s called “book time” and every job has a number. If the guy can do it in half the time, they make more money. Many technicians are paid by the job, not by the hour, so they can make a lot of money if they are efficient. If they screw up a lot, they work overtime to break even.

2 Likes

Agreed. I was once an auto mechanic apprentice and I averaged 14 hours a day pay for my 8 hour a day job. I absolutely loved flat rate. One job in particular was 8 hours pay alone and took less than 4 to complete. It was in the transmission of the Datsun 510 (yeah I’m old). The last piece to come out of the trans was a washer shaped item known as a dog. If the driver was over zealous in their shifting they could bend this dog and then the car would no longer shift gears. It was an easy fix and you’d have to be the slowest mechanic in the world to take the whole 8 hours to fix it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.