How inaccurate is it?

I use a stack of spare 1/8th and 1/4" Baltic Birch squares (12x12) I have hanging around. That gives me 1/8" increments which has been plenty. I have saved a specific spoil board for the top one because when cutting through your project it’s gonna at least mark (& often more than mark :slight_smile: )the top of your spacer stack.

@evansd2 mine comes out ~0.100 higher than that one so… good enough? (hint: no). and needing to use the laser to make a jig to hold the item is exactly what the OP was asking about; which I already said that I do for things without the crumb tray because I’m not satisfied with the camera accuracy in those cases.

@Scott.Burns yes… that would be labelled under “stuff”… my reams of paper don’t add up and tell me measurements automatically. I have to put my calipers on them, thus measurement error.

1 Like

:+1: Same here – I mic’ed each one and penciled the thickness on both sides. I also keep stacks of ceramic tiles likewise marked. 1/8 inch (3,2mm) granularity works for all my use cases, since the focus range is between 0 and 0.499" (as of January 2018).

That’s definitely going in the 'hopper. :sunglasses:

PS – I’m curious as to the variation in crumb tray heights. My PRU was 1.38" and my Basic is 1.39." Can’t recall seeing anyone report one outside of 1.36 to 1.40, but I could very well have missed some reports. (Currently hovering around 2,400 unread.)

1 Like

mine was 0.14 something when I measured it the other day (lost the note I had it on cleaning) but I’m not at home so can’t check my spreadsheet.

even if it is 1.40 vs 1.36 a 0.04 difference is going to cause accuracy issues that I would be unhappy with on most of my projects.

Wasn’t suggesting otherwise.

I got that, i was just stating it to illustrate what would effect my use.

I am very happy with the camera for things on the crumb tray though. I was sceptical but being able to simply mark the middle of things and drag them in place is awesome compared to placing them in a specific place on an art board and going from a corner.

The Glowforge motto!

Let’s face it, none of us would be here if we chose the easy way…

1 Like