How loud is the glowforge with and without the air filter?

Actually, the cloud service knows starting temperature plus exactly how many watts are going into and out of the Glowforge, so it can forecast how much airflow is needed. Short of turning on a space heater and pointing it at the air intake after the cut begins, it will run correctly, open loop, through the entire process.

4 Likes

So, somewhat related to loudness, but does the glowforge itself make any noises besides fans and motors? Specially, does it beep if something is wrong?

Please please make it not beep. Or make beeping disable-able.

1 Like

I assume that in order to pass some safety certifications, a noise decibel level must be claimed in the application. Do you guys have data on this yet?

No noise data to share yet.

Copying @tony on the beep request. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Ah already a thread on this, good. After hearing the amount of noise my other CNC based machines make, I was curious too how noisy this would be. So… bump!

3 Likes

Hey, Dan: I had originally asked this last December

about the timing of delivering the filters, and you replied with this: [quote=“dan, post:22, topic:390, full:true”]
We’re going to ship GF units the day they’re ready, and that will likely be before the filters are ready - a day before or a month before, I don’t know yet. So that depends on your degree of patience. : )
[/quote]
however, since you have since added another six months to your delivery timeline, is it any safer to assume that you will be able to ship the filters at or near the same time you ship the lasers now?

3 Likes

We’re aiming for December for the filters as well, but there’s a greater risk of delay for them.

7 Likes

anything to share from official lab testing yet on the air filters ?

No, we’re always having things tested by third party labs, but the results of those tests are very confidential. As you might imagine, the folks who admire what we do and seek to replicate it would really enjoy looking at them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yup really the only answer I need is (and doesn’t have to right now). My gf I intended to have in my computer room that also has 2 rabbits and 5 chinchillas call home. So just make need to know at some point that its fully safe to have with living animals in a enclosed room or if it’s only safe enough if a window is open. My principle is going to be wood. The whole pure clean air vs only good enough to not make you sick

My question make sense?

2 Likes

If you cherish your pets, it might make sense to run an indoor air quality test before your GF arrives and again, after you’ve used it a bit. Amazon sells a number of such kits, from cheap to expensive. A knowledgeable veterinarian might also have some insight to share.

One problem with air filters for organic removal is that you may not know when they get saturated (and stop protecting you or the pets) unless the contaminant has a noticeable odor. Another is that they don’t absorb or remove everything. For example, I suspect that carbon monoxide will pass right through the filter. In any case, just because it worked when new doesn’t mean that it is still working a month or two down the road.

On the plus side, you’ll probably know when the particulate filter gets fairly close to plugging, assuming that it works much like a forced-air furnace filter.

5 Likes

yes that’s why asking for the lab certifications once they are available I cant exactly afford to send things to UL but dan and crew already wood have or are in the process off

1 Like

I was thinking that performance of the filtration system when it or replacement parts are new is not likely to be the same as it is after they have been used a bit and especially after they have been used heavily. I’m assuming that lab certs will be done on new or fresh components (filter, absorber, etc.) so they may not be an accurate indicator of the air quality hazards that your pets will be exposed to with continued GF use. Perhaps there is some sort of inexpensive you could purchase that would give on-demand readings of something that would be indicative of air pollutants. @volivaa might have some useful insight here.

3 Likes

There are some volatile organic carbon (VOC) meters in the $100 range, but it will take a day or so to get you a link. My real concern is the acid gases like HCl, HBr, HF, HCN etc. I don’t know if the filter will contain such things, but an acid absorbant like baking soda placed in the bottom of the GF might remove much of the hazard. I envision a removable thin tray containing a water saturated polymer like PMMA (diaper absorbant) and containing a universal pH indicator might give a visual indication of corrosive acid gases. There are a number of cheap sensors that can be attached to something like a Raspberry Pi as well. When I get my GF, I can test for levels of these hazardous things.

I want mine to say “Danger Will Robinson… Danger…”

4 Likes

Here you go!

4 Likes

the hope would be that the gf air filter has all this but details are none existant to what it will do

2 Likes

I second the Roxul Safe N Sound! Not only is it meant for sound deadening purposes such as sound studios and home theaters, it’s extremely heat resistant and will actually slow down a fire. I doubt the Glowforge is going to be much of a fire risk, but maybe your kids will try to make it one, or your wife just needs some extra assurance. :slight_smile: It’s great stuff, and they make thinner panels as well. The folks at their customer service line should have some ideas for you. If you go with Safe N Sound, one package might be all you need. It saws up with any serrated blade, pops into place and holds itself up as long as you make the space tight enough.

3 Likes