How to book on laser cutting

We could do both in one post and rely heavily on the summarize feature of the forums. Different threads is the ideal, but idle chatter will almost certainly happen no matter what we try for.

This is for a resource on thinking digitally with different shapes.

Itā€™s in Spanish but the pictures say it all. Be prepared for a couple hours of reading. This is an amazing collection of ideas. Lots of new ones for me.
Also. Iā€™ve been doing some reading on git to continue thinking about a document centered approach, version control and shared editing. It works great. Might be able to get something figured out by Monday. Tomorrow Iā€™m taking a day off from digital and heading to the woods.

4 Likes

Great site, thanks for that link!

Definitely github if we want to collaborate.

Three thoughts about this project:

1. Cool.
  2. It would be a shame if only people comfortable with Git could participate. Some of the greatest contributions are going to come from creative people who are not as excited about directed acyclic graphs for source controls as you or I.
  3. It would be very nice if the system was integrated with the login system here so only GF owners can participate. That will kill spam problems before they even start.

Iā€™m going to do a little sniffing around and see if I can set something up, since it seems like thereā€™s some genuine interest hereā€¦

2 Likes

Github does not require intimate git knowledge. It is possible to edit files right in the browser and still benefit from the wonders of source control and ā€œcodeā€ review. Content, in this case, not code, but yeah.

If you guys already have a corporate github account you could create a public repository with an approved list of collaborators. Grant repo admin to a bunch of folks and the thing will pretty much run itself. I can help with the technical side of things (I run GH enterprise at work).

I have to agree with @dan that Github would be suboptimal for this. Iā€™m a geek and find it somewhat intimidating. Iā€™ve learned it as some other projects Iā€™ve helped with it was chosen but it not exactly user-friendly for use for things other than coding. I would think something more Wiki-like would work well.

Github repositories have a wiki built right into them. Donā€™t fear the tool, take a look at it first. Unsurpassed when it comes to effective collaboration.

I am not sure how git would work for documents with mixed media. Say if we were to do a manual of different chapters with illustrations and pics. What format for the doc? Text is best for version differentiating. But most folks are so used to binary file formats to edit documents And though the the challenge of the interface can be overcome, it would be a barrier to many to contribute. If s manual project would be limited to a few maintainers, then that would be great. But opening it up to a wider community to contribute would be best. So if @dan and the Glowforge team want to provide a platform. Perhaps a Mediawiki install that is linked to user accounts of owners and forum users, that would seem to me optimal in the long run. What I am concerned about is having something folks can turn to as soon as they get a Glowforge. Thatā€™s the strength of a manual. This would require cooperation with beta Glowforge users. But, even so, I think a wiki approach that just collated the knowledge base of the forums would be amazing. Iā€™d be able to start contributing right away. Document centric, I would go for a small group of maintainers but open to anyone who wishes to check out and commit.

Mixed media is not an issue. Videos are embedded as links from YouTube, SVGs are essentially code anyways, pngs are small enough.
If you know wiki markdown you can contribute to github based wiki as well, it uses a version of markdown as well.

For GF its the shortest critical path to achieve this - frankly - an incredibly low hanging fruit. You know whatā€¦ Here: https://github.com/GlowforgeCommunityDocs - I just created this, ping me there for invites.

https://github.com/GlowforgeCommunityDocs/general-doc - here you go. @dan - check it out.

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

How does one ā€œping me there for invitesā€? Iā€™m on the site, I created a GitHub user. I donā€™t see anywhere on the link you gave us to say ā€œAllow me to edit thingsā€.

what is your github username?

g

polarbrainfreeze :smile:

Go here: https://github.com/GlowforgeCommunityDocs
Fork whichever repo you want to contribute to. Make your changes, click the pull request button (green). I will merge your changes.

I have not yet decided what I will contribute to. I just wanted to see what the process was like.

I added you as a collaborator, so you dont have to fork.

Thank you.

Agree with @Dan on GitHub as the primary location for message boards and GF owner interaction. That said, it would make a lot of sense to consider using it for beta units, especially if you can use that internally for issue tracking. As a prior poster stated, Github does not require technical experience to use and it is a great way to track and comment on beta type issues with people who are not employees. You can easily take the relevant content generated there and pull it across to whatever platform you select for broader owner interactions.

1 Like