How to Charge Friends for Laser Use Time

I would like to know how much tube time costs in terms of replacement to include that in the formula. Seems like I ran into a dime for every 10 minutes somewhere. I remember the service life was stated as 2 years with intermittent use.

4 Likes

Though you can luck out with Harbor freight too. My old last employer had a penchant for cheap. When explained that the cost of a hammer drill at Harbor freight was less than three days renting a big name from home Depot he told us to buy it and rent the hole drill from Home Depot and the hammer drill(as far as I know) has had a couple hundred uses since. More than paid for itself in rental terms and just as useful as a big name. Just donā€™t get a regular drill with hammer option and expect it to compete(which he did for years). Seriously, we did the rest of that jobā€™s holes(20?) in the time it took the old drill w/hammer to put one hole on two sides of a cinder block.

2 Likes

When I was young, the Japanese had a rep for cheap junk. We taught them how to build cars, and now they teach us. Point is the Chinese quality is now doing the same thing. I have seriously abused some harbor freight tools. The price is next to disposable. I can buy five 4"angle grinders for the price of a Makita, and I guarantee they will outlast it.
Now, thatā€™s not to say that some of the stuff isnā€™t junk, but the ratio is going down in my experience.

5 Likes

We finally got a hf a few years ago. To me, the ability to get a deal is based directly on what you need and your ability to evaluate that.

2 Likes

I make a living off of my creativity, I went to school for it, accumulated student loans
for it, and worked very hard to hone my craft so I look at it like this. I respect my friend, the accountant, enough not to ask them to do my taxes for free every yearā€¦ My friends should give me the same respect and not ask or expect me to work (or use my tools) for
free!

28 Likes

Nice website!
This tool is really going to fit into your universe.

2 Likes

I visited a Makerspace several years ago that had a commercial grade laser cutter (huge monster) and they had a cost per hour usage fee. They said it helped pay for the electricity (again this thing was huge!) and to pay for the replacement laser when it came due to be replaced. I think they calculated the lifespan and figured a per hour cost.

I am a member of a MakerSpace ā€¦ itā€™ll probably end up there ā€¦ weā€™ll figure out something. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes, counting down the days for my glowforge!

3 Likes

happy cake day!

7 Likes

Thank you Sir. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Happy cakeday! You have made quite the difference in the forum.

4 Likes

We donā€™t bother with that finite an analysis at ours. Itā€™s a disposable/maintenance item from our perspective and we really donā€™t have any metrics for it so itā€™d be a wild ass guess what the lifespan and cost to replace (at the time of failure) would be. Weā€™d rather just encourage people to use the space and tools than nickel & dime them.

2 Likes

Yes, happy cake day!:bouquet::birthday:

3 Likes

Thank you my friend, it has been a pleasure getting to know you all and learning from you!

I am honored.
As it happens, the forum has been a catalyst that has prompted an unexpected change in me too!
The high level of social engagement I experience here is a new and welcome aspect for me.
Despite our differences we all share a trait that has brought us together here - a love of craft.

When I finally got around to joining you all here I was inspired by our commonality, and really wanted this place to flourish. Thatā€™s my excuse for crawling out of my shell and highjacking everyoneā€™s threads!

I learned in my military service that you make tight friends in tight places. We have all endured this journey together, weathered sharp disappointment, inspired each other, learned and laughed together. More like a family than a group of strangers.
My circle of friends has expanded far beyond what it was, and it has been a privilege to participate. :sunglasses:
Thank you all. :thumbsup:

21 Likes

Thank you! I am happy today! The sun is shining, and we are a day closer to delivery - whenever that is. :wink:

9 Likes

Happy cake day! I just figured out what that cake next to your title means. Duh.

5 Likes

Thanks! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@printolaser happy cake day (as is customary on this forum)! You are young enough to care and old enough to be wiseā€¦all in all a good age (because your GF will soon be on the way!!) - Rich :gift::birthday:

4 Likes

I worked out the hourly rate charged by our plumber to install a new water heater. After subtracting the retail cost of the water heater and a few bucks for supplies and tools, what was left of the bill amount to somewhere north of $150/hour. That makes me feel much better about the rate I charge for design and machining services and even a little depressed at times.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve never worked in those industries, so Iā€™m not sure if $150/hr is as ā€œhugeā€ as it first seems. Do they work 40hrs/week or only as jobs come up? Does this charge change per job (if they have more jobs in a week, the hourly rate goes down)?

Otherwise, $150/hour sounds ridiculously high

1 Like