How to clean metal

Totally off topic… but I know you will know this…

I just bought a bunch of 1-2-3 blocks to have in my studio. I am mainly going to use them to hold down large paper, and to help hold things in place for glue ups. They are very cool objects.

They came covered in oil. I soaked them in WD40, but I can’t quite get the oil off. I want them to be clean so they don’t mark paper and leave an oily film on my fingers. Any advice?

2 Likes

Isopropyl alcohol is what I would use. Just keep in mind that those are carbon steel and if you don’t keep a coat of oil on them they will rust from your fingerprints.

4 Likes

To completely remove all traces I would employ a favorite solvent - spray brake cleaner. Carburetor cleaner is almost as effective. Use that stuff outside!
Powerful and very fast action, also quick to evaporate….And very flammable.

8 Likes

I use mineral spirits.

2 Likes

So… not gasoline? :innocent:

4 Likes

Only in my younger days, and then, only in a pinch. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Do they still make carburetor cleaner? I don’t think they make carburetors any more.

1 Like

Yeah, you can get it, at least @ Pep Boys. Performance parts for old cars are still available. I have a '66 Mustang that’s full of them!

2 Likes

My 1-2-3 blocks were the same. I used OilEater, rinsed, saturated with WD40, and then let them sit on a paper-towel and cardboard stack to soak up the excess.

3 Likes

Used a can today on my 4 wheeler. Most small engines have carbs. All auto parts places carry it. Even Walmart.

2 Likes

break or carburator cleaner is the best with any grease or grime! but use outdoors and don’t smell it.
mineral spirits will work too, as well as any other stronger solvent such as varsol. (but it stinks)

keep in mind there is a reason why they are covered in oil! if you completely strip that oil (which is packing grease) those blocks will rust quickly. WD40 can be sprayed after you use them to keep off the rust but it’s far from ideal. also, if you are using these blocks on wood, the silicone in wd40 will make it impossible for any finish to later stick to the wood.
there are a few clean products you can use on steel to inhibit rust, search lee valley.

3 Likes

Silicone. Now that’s a thought. A dry lubricant also used in waterproofing outdoor gear.

1 Like

If you want to keep them very clean but also rust free then store them in a closed box with a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYN8JDS

5 Likes

I would use mineral spirits. That’s often recommended to clean the goopy shipping grease from cast iron tools when they come.

1 Like