How to engrave a glass bottle on a Glowforge

Of course, you can use the GF to cut up cabinet parts & scrounge the rest of the parts to make your own, which is probably what I’ll end up doing. Can probably find some appropriate gloves on Amazon.

2 Likes

You don’t even really need gloves. It really doesn’t take much to etch glass with it. The PSI only needs to be at around 50. And I can hold items in my hand and hit my hands with the blaster and it dosnt do anything to your skin. It is very fine sand. I am sure if you keep your hands under if for a while it would hurt you but quick sweeping passes do nothing to you.

1 Like

[quote=“bangert78, post:42, topic:882”]
it dosnt do anything to your skin.
[/quote]But it does clean your finger nails well :slight_smile: Ask me how I know…

3 Likes

Nice. I could see that. i just like using it more than etching cream. Not a fan of acid on my skin. I am not the greatest about keeping stuff like that off my skin.

1 Like

How do these little sandblasters do with wood or HDU? One of the reasons I had been looking at a large blaster/cabinet in the first place (pre-glowforge) was to be able cut sandblast resist material on my plotter for signage like this:

Now, with the 'forge in mind, I am imagining doing the large/deep areas rough with blast media and then moving to the laser for detail work.

1 Like

Not so good. They are not made for removing stock, just cleaning surfaces and light etching.

2 Likes

My wife’s brother in law does that. You will need a large sand blaster with higher psi and large grain sand or aluminum oxide sand for that and just like laser cutting it comes out different for each type of wood.

1 Like

“Wife’s brother in law”

So… your brother?

Or I guess husband of one of your wife’s sisters is more likely.

Just had to double take on that one…

Is defiantly my wife’s sisters husband. :grinning:

Why would it be on your skin? IIve used it a number of times. Gloves and brush.

Looking forward to trying this myself! Thanks Dan

Oh, That’s me…

1 Like

it really is

If you’re still looking for a little sand blaster, I ordered this Paasche AEC-K Abrasive sprayer (haven’t tried it out yet). The price just dropped on it from about $65 to about $59.

1 Like

Cutting sandblasting masks on the Glowforge is on my to-do list. But I suspect the results will be better when dimensions allow direct etching. I’m working on a tutorial of how I designed a jig earlier this week to help directly etch <2" wide shot glasses on the Glowforge. I hope to post it in a few days.

4 Likes

Some time ago we printed masks+sandblasted bottles and the results were fantastic - I think I shared pictures at the time.

2 Likes

Yes, in the first post of this thread. While I’m hoping that will work well for larger glasses/bottles, direct engraving on smaller pieces (like shot glasses) will cut down the number of steps and make it more cost effective. I’m putting some finishing touches on my write up now. I hope to post it today or tomorrow.

2 Likes

Oops! OK, got you.

Girl at work was getting married - asked if I could make glasses for the wedding party toast ( then found out she has 24 peeps in her wedding party!. Vinyl mask cut on my Silhouette then sand-blasted. Here are some pics of some of the masked glasses and the finished ones. The vase was for sand poured from the bride, groom and 2 children of the groom from the four small vases (with initials).
Kept me busy last weekend.

I look forward to using a laserable mask.

28 Likes

What kind of nozzle/sand/compressor etc did you use. Just curious. Love the results.

1 Like