How to make a keychain or name tag

While I was on vacation visiting my kids and grand-kids. My granddaughter complained that because of her name she cant find a key chain. this is one way to make a nice looking keychain as I am sure there are hundreds of ways. here is a short video tute

20 Likes

I use inkscape for pretty much everything and I never knew linked offset was even a tool I could use! Learn something new every day. Thanks so much for this tutorial! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Excellent tutorial, thanks!

Kinda surprised she couldn’t find “Michael” for sale though…

:laughing::wink:

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

2 Likes

@jules may move this to the Matrix so don’t be surprised if the category changes.

These are good things to have because it’s the step past how do I use the tool, to how do I actually make this type of project.

4 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t know about linked offset either~ good share. That will come in handy. :+1:

Other steps that might improve your workflow:

Once you’ve made the yellow offset, switch to showing just the stroke and no fill. You’ll be able to see the stray nodes more easily.

To add a ring, make a circle, and a smaller circle on top; object to path; then add the resulting ring on the outside of the offset outline, maybe a third way in, then, path> union. Make sure the ring is quite thick so it doesn’t break easily.

Fun with Inkscape!

4 Likes

Thanks I’m going to to try that today.for software that is free it is really amazing and full featured if you take time to learn it

3 Likes

As a Marion, I can relate to that. Finally found one when I was about 26 years old, in Germany. A mini beer stein!

2 Likes

Good video!