How to mask non proof grade wood or materials

I learned that cuz the parents always got the comics first, so I’d read the page after they’d let the fold flop over :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’d like to make two suggestions:

First, when squeegeeing the paper, start from the middle center and work toward the front, then middle center to the back, followed by middle center to the right, and then the left. Then radiate out from the center to the corners. This helps prevent bubbles.

Second, you could buy a tape dispenser, but you have a frickin’ laser :wink:

7 Likes

What type of tape do you use?

1 Like

There are a bunch of different brands/sizes available, but in general the medium tack versions will do what you’re looking for.
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3UZL0W/

2 Likes

I use that same type.

Be careful, the pricing on that is really high.

I tend to get mine for about $35 for 300 square feet at signwarehouse.

The one that was linked comes out to $0.43 /square foot, sign warehouse is about $0.12/square foot.

There’s a whole thread about pricing here:

1 Like

Sadly cheapest overall sometimes doesn’t fit into the budget today

1 Like

If you own a $4,000-$6,000 laser cutter, $20 shouldn’t break the budget. On the other hand, it goes both ways, who cares about getting the rock-bottom cheapest material when we are all wealthy enough to have a glowforge?

That being said, my New England upbringing insists that I go for the cheapest longhaul cost, so here we are, with me worrying about pennies per square foot. :wink:

5 Likes

I understand where you are coming from, however being a Ghet-Tech myself, I bought a :glowforge: instead of a gold chain or new car. It still was a major expense that required some adjustments. I’m sure I will get a return but it just was too cool and a great price at the time.

Then Maria hit. More adjustments so some priorities had to change. All of us are blessed to be able to take advantage of :glowforge:, but for many reasons :slight_smile:

And yes I comparison shop because I refuse to over pay :smiley:

1 Like

i had made one. haha

11 Likes

I got my tape from here. https://www.mclogan.com/shop/tape-4075-rla-application-tape-p-66.html

i got trhe 12" x 100 yds.

3 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Thanks for the video. My wife and I are new to Glowforge (Day 2) and I’m looking to try different materials/tips. This tape will allow us to use plywood/hardwood thats not Proofgrade to cut or engrave? We have the basic and are really excited.

1 Like

Yep, it just prevents residue from getting on the wood. Feel free to check out my other videos on YouTube for tips and tricks if you’re new.

I’m new to glowforge. Day 2 to be exact. Do you need to put tape on wood before cutting? The wood I’m using is Birch.

You don’t have to - what the masking does it make is so you don’t get smoke stains on the surface of the wood. Personally about 80% of the time I love the smoke stains, but without them things do look cleaner/newer, so it’s a style question. That being said, if what you’re engraving has lots of subtle details (any photograph) you definitely want to remove the masking or the details will be wiped off when you pull off the masking.

If you get PG wood it comes pre-masked. Otherwise you can buy paper masking all over the web, including Amazon.

1 Like

No it just prevents residue when engraving for a cleaner look.

The masking on the back also will cut down on flashback too. These are the burnt looking spots along places that are cut through. :blush:

1 Like

Where do you buy this masking?

There are links to three sources in this thread.