How to not get help on the forum

There has been a lot written on how to get help but not much on how not to. A few of you have it down and have shown use by example so I thought I’d take what you’ve shown us and reduce it down to some bullet points for those who don’t want to have to dig through a bunch of posts.

• Ask a question that any number of our advanced users can answer

• Wait until one or more of our most helpful members answer

• Now, tell each of those that answer that they are wrong and you only want to hear from :glowforge: staff

• Note: this works extra well if you can manage to be snarky as you tell the helpful members they are wrong.

If you will simply follow these simple steps you can guarantee you won’t get any help in the future including others that are helpful but not included in your first round.

30 Likes

You’re wrong. I’ll wait to hear something from :glowforge: staff.

13 Likes

ROFL! That’s a hoot! (And fairly accurate too.) :smile:

5 Likes

Yup…works every time! :smirk:

5 Likes

Trust some newbie with an opinion to tell us what we’re doing wrong…

You know what they say about opinions, right, newbie?

6 Likes

I LOVE this! So funny…yet, unfortunately so true. Way to nail it!

5 Likes

9 Likes

+1

Excellent tutorial.

I have definitely backed quietly away from helping people exhibiting this pattern.

5 Likes

Ha! But what is something is that there are some helpful forum members that will ignore all the posturing and privilege and still be helpful. I’d say all in all folks have been pretty patient.

14 Likes

Good and helpful points as always, the number of chances certainly vary significantly but even you have your limits.
I think pretty much all of the top helpers will give someone the benefit of the doubt if there is any ambiguity but there are a few that can run everyone off using the above technique.

Sadly while we can get a laugh out of this, those who could benefit won’t think it is about them. (A long life has taught me that)

11 Likes

Going the opposite direction of what you said I wanted to drop Carly Simon here, then I saw this instead which turns out to be random and, for me, unexpectedly awesome

The Susanna Hoffs version is great too

4 Likes

For sure. I’ve seen some epic and commendable displays of patience from our forum stalwarts.

I get that people are sometimes quite frustrated.

8 Likes

I agree it’s that whole don’t lay your Pearls Before Swine… some of us have a lot more pearls and patients than others.

9 Likes

“I didn’t read your post. So what you’re saying is…”

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Having taken a hiatus from posting much helpful stuff and resuming quite recently, I can not help but feel you are referring to me specifically. :rofl::joy::grin::grinning::sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Good thing I’m not like that.

:wink:

5 Likes

Sadly…why is it up to me to recognize that all of you are wrong? (So much pressure being right all the time!) :sunglasses:

13 Likes