HP Sprout

I’m toying with the idea of getting one. Has anyone come across them or own/use one?
I can’t find much recent online, so thought i’d ask here.

1 Like

I have had my eye on the Sprout for a year or so. I’m holding out for one or two more generations. I like the idea but, from what I have read, most of the cool functionality only works with the HP-provided applications. I’m hoping it will eventually work with big name graphics applications like Adobe and (for me) CorelDraw.

2 Likes

My girlfriend sells HP and she had to go through a training for the sprout. It has a lot of cool features, but its another case of everything being bundled in one when it would be better to buy it separately type of thing. Just like the VCR/TV combos of olden times, if one piece breaks, you lose both. Im a bit wary of that. They have 3d scanners for a lot less than this costs which you can use on any machine, so unless they show me something they can do that no one else can, I dont see the need.

Also… if you see any demo videos, its usually pretty dark in the rooms, thats because a lot of the functionality is going to be limited by ambient light…even the 3d scanning as it is using light patters instead of lasers or UV

5 Likes

Here is a link to save a search for the the Sprout.

5 Likes

What @takitus said, I saw it when it came out and yes, it has some cool stuff going on but I think for now I’d be better off just getting a scanner.

1 Like

Hmm, perhaps I’ll stop toying and see how it develops.

I agree with markevans36301. Trying to stay focused.

I had also earmarked the Sprout a bit over a year ago, and even put a calendar appointment for what I thought was the release date so I could order one immediately.

That date came and I was busy, so about a week later I wondered why I didn’t see discussion about it in all of the Tech groups I am watching. So I dug in and saw it had already been out for about a year and had not generated much buzz.

Finding direct user accounts of the machine was REALLY hard. Those few I did find mostly said “The kids loved playing with it for a little while. We don’t use it for much of anything now” and outlined problems with the scanner (the main feature I wanted) and limitations of the projected screen (the secondary which I had ambitious ideas about).

So I am with @johnwills on this one: Wait for 3.0

1 Like

Have not come across any good and affordable 3d scanner… maybe in a few years…

have you tried a microsoft kinect? they can do head size stuff and up pretty well
pair it with: http://skanect.occipital.com/ and youve got a pretty prime scanner

12 Likes

Reviving an old thread. Has anyone seen the Sprout Pro? I stumbled across this yesterday while researching monitors. It’s an interesting evolution in the products line but still not what I’m hoping it will become.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/sprout-pro/overview.html

2 Likes

New to me, looks shiny! Wonder about the $$.

1 Like

I have seen prices between $2100 and $3400.

2 Likes

I need to see it more calmly, because I do not understand what it is for :sweat_smile:

Nice that they moved away from the projected bottom panel. I am still eager to try one someday, but not yet attracted enough to buy one without first trying it.

There’s supposedly one on display at a Best Buy about an hour and a half drive from here but I’m always in a rush when I pass through that city. I’d definitely want to try it before buying it. And I’m still hoping it will eventually work with mainstream applications.