I Am A Stick

I never heard of the series, but I have a feeling I’m going to be hooked. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ve been looking for something new to read.

2 Likes

@evansd2 this was a test to see if I liked it while engraved. It’s 1/16 but I plan to make it from 1/32 if I ever get some.

@ptodd thank you!

@nbloedel indeed! A true Sanderfan would know the reference easily :grin:

@CMadok yes! Please read! I bet you’ll enjoy them as much as we all do :orange_heart:

Try gluing two or more layers of raw veneer together cross grain. Basically making your own plywood. Works really well.

3 Likes

What about the sticky-back veneer I already have? I received two veneer sheets in the sample pack when I first bought Dawnbreaker… Used it once xD that might stick nicely together. I’ve never engraved it though!

1 Like

You could try this…

2 Likes

I don’t see why not? The trick is the crossing of the grain, thin woods will snap along the grain really easily, but if you cross 2 or 3 layers, it gets really strong.

That’s how I made my “small” bee. Really more like a murder hornet, but smallish anyway.

4 Likes

@rbtdanforth ooooh yes! Thank you! Love getting info on a.new supplier. I finally took the leap to try a supplier on Etsy and it was worth it. I mostly use Ocooch.

@evansd2 thank you for the info! I’ll start testing it out next week!

1 Like

As I do too unless there is reason to do otherwise like more exotic woods or in that case wood as paper. Though I bought some Mahogany from them that is 1/16 and is bot a good mahogany (doesn’t become ash) and the grain is so twisted up that it is reasonably crack resistant.

1 Like

Have you ordered from here before? I’m always nervous about trying new places, but I’ve been looking for thin veneer lately. I followed the link and ordered from their remnants just to try it out. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

A couple of times

1 Like

I just got my packet of remnant packs from Cards of Wood, haven’t cut them yet but I’m pleased with how they look!

2 Likes

Awesome. I ordered the different woods and sizes. I’m curious if they look like remnants or if the sizes are exactly what they stated. If they are, then it’s a great deal.

1 Like

Mine are the size they say. They came shrink wrapped like a brick in padded envelope in great condition.

2 Likes

Nice, I’m really looking forward to it now. I think I ordered one pack of bookmark size in that light colored specialty wood, business card size in that pretty cedar, and I think a pack or maple or birch in the 5x7 size. Not sure what I’ll do with it yet.

2 Likes

Maybe postcards?

1 Like

A client has been asking if I have anything thinner than 1/8" wood for her dollhouse designs. She wants to add decorative trim. That is one application, I need to make sure they don’t blow away while cutting. I think will make a few business cards, since I never really make the plunge to get it done before… The rest, not sure yet. Postcards seem like a fun idea.

I’m still looking for the books. I thought I could have the library deliver it to me, but they only have the audio book or ebook, and reading things on my phone is difficult. Audio book may be an option, but I usually like reading it myself first before I get someone else’s take on what it should sound like.

The 1/16" wood I’ve cut doesn’t blow away. It’s heavier than chipboard.

1 Like

That’s good to know. If I like the quality I might buy their 1/16th. The remnant I bought are thinner though. I think it said 0.025in or something. I saw a video of them lasering their own sheets in an epilog or other machine, and the cut bits were blowing everywhere.

Poor/frugal man’s seklema mat: a sheet of draftboard sprayed with Krylon Easy Tack.
Bonus: no need mask material back to avoid flashback. Works very nicely for paper, fabric, EVA foam, veneer, anything light.

4 Likes

Nice! I’ll have to try it. Adhesives make me nervous. The 3m backing on the veneer that came in the glowforge starter pack is like cement. Made a mistake in placement and had to break apart the veneer to remove it

1 Like