Honeycomb tray

Hello, I am the keeper of the comb. You may look but not touch.

Figured maple, Figured Walnut, Padauk, Cowhide

My exploration of trays is apparently not complete yet. This time, instead of an abstract geometric theme of spirals I decided to ground the design in more natural forms, specifically honeycomb.

I don’t have a lot of process details to share that I haven’t already in my other tray posts, you can search the forum for them if you want to dig deeper into how I do this sort of thing beyond what I share with the photos below.

Some notes:

• The inlay process was labor-intensive. Each hexagon of maple in the comb is glued in individually, and since it was figured maple, I kept the orientation of the pieces, but scrambled them to make the individual hexes shimmer at different angles.
  • Each side piece is unique. No two comb patterns are the same.
  • The bee design was a free download, but as with all most free downloads, it was terrible on a technical level and required being completely re-drawn to have a clean path and true symmetry. (And to make it suitable for inlay, fixing too-thin elements and sharp angles)
  • Speaking of true symmetry, I wanted to idealize the keeper, so I drew just one half and then flipped and joined it. This has the effect of subtly making you realize it’s not an actual bee. I don’t know how else to explain it, the pure symmetry just makes your brain go “huh, that’s not real”. This seemed like a good plan so that no one ever got freaked out by a giant bee outline and smashed the tray. :slight_smile: The end goal is “that’s obviously a bee” and “that’s obviously not really a bee” at the same time. How did I do?
  • The hardwoods were all sanded to 600 grit and finished with 2 very thin coats of Watco wipe-on clear satin polyurethane. I literally wipe it on and then immediately wipe it off to give the absolute thinnest coats I can manage. It saturates the wood well and leaves no surface artifacts.
  • As usual with my trays, I round my corners by hand with a sanding block, and the woods are all 1/8", with a double-stacked 1/8" baltic birch base that’s glued in.

The dimensions are roughly 6.5" x 8.5" x 1.5". The tray has small screw-in rubber feet to keep it off the table.

Some detail of the side of the tray really lets you get a look at the figuring in the maple. It shimmers nicely in the light.

The back face, with its figuring. Note that the combs are different from each side. This was a fun detail but definitely ups the labor factor, both on design and assembly phases.

The 4th side. More figures.

Some detail on the keeper. It never photographs well, but trust me when I say that the chatoyancy on the padauk really sells the entire piece. It shines almost like rich red copper.

Figured maple, Figured Walnut, Padauk, Rubber feet

So, that’s about it. Not much more to say about the finished piece, I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

A quick bonus pic or two about process.
I glue the base in and clamp it absolutely flat to ensure it sets flush with the base. I use a reference flat surface (a 12x12 stone tile from home depot) and clamp it down while it sets. This prevents any warp in the baltic from making the base uneven.

I also ensure that I don’t sand at weird angles and get thin spots on my sides by using sanding frames.

Pictured is one of the long sides inside a sanding frame. The frame is 1/8" baltic, and as I sand the surface it prevents me from getting off angle with the sander or sanding block. The baltic doesn’t stand up to much sanding, so I go through a new frame for each side. Before I started doing this, I was unable to safely use an orbital sander on the pieces for fear that I would oversand an edge and I’d get inconsistent thickness in the final result. With these frames, that worry is all but eliminated. I still keep an eye on it, but I haven’t had any trouble yet.

Eagle-eyed readers will spot very small protrusions on my sides at the junction between the maple and the walnut. These allow me to sand it flush and get a perfect interface on the clean edge. This process was outlined in a previous post about trays.

Even more eagle eyed readers may that all this sanding is happening on my sanding platform.

93 Likes

Whoa! That’s stunning…and leather is mixed in there too?! Just wow!

2 Likes

If only I could get enough time to sit down and practice the methods you have generously laid out to achieve projects like this. Truly envious.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Am I reading correctly that there are 20 coats of the wipe-on poly? How long does that take? Are you sanding between coats, or are they thin enough that that isn’t necessary.

Love the rounded corners and I can imagine how nice that padauk must look in person. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Wow! Fantastic work.

2 Likes

Reading correctly, yes… but written correctly? Nope. It was 2 coats. I edited the original post.

I sand everything before to 600 grit and then wipe on. I don’t sand between the coats, the surface may be somewhat smoother if I did, but I figure it’s satin so it’s not as sensitive to tiny variations in surface texture.

With two coats, the process is very quick, I do one coat, then come back and hit it with another after a couple hours. It fully cures in the span of about 24 hours in reasonably warm temps.

5 Likes

Ah! Very lovely, as usual! And I love the idea of sanding frames. :smile:

1 Like

Beautiful work, and wood. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Outstanding!!!

2 Likes

Book marked later review of techniques, thank you much!

2 Likes

Have any pics of the pieces separated? I’d love to see what the honeycomb looked like before being interlocked!

2 Likes

Gorgeous, and I’d say the bee is perfect: just the right amount of stylization.

3 Likes

Well done!
AMAZING! :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Straight killing it! SO INSPIRING!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

2 Likes

Holy cats I wasn’t expecting that! Of course I thought it was about the GF Tray. Absolutely beautiful.

5 Likes

Hah! I hadn’t considered that. Maybe I should change it?

1 Like

No I don’t, but I did cut a second set of comb pieces by accident (I forgot to flip them horizontally the first time) so now I have a mirror image set. I will try to post a pic later.

1 Like

Your stuff is always inspiring, but this one takes it up another level once again. So awesome

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m pleased with it. It’s a tricky balance to get the right amount of detail for the size you’re cutting. She’s 1” tall, so you sort of back into how much detail you can get based on that.

2 Likes

this reminds me of a Kit Williams book - have you ever seen it? Delicious inspiration for wood and metal and codes and paint (and all the things really).

1 Like