I am quite curious how this would translate to laser cut

I made several of these with my Handibot, and over the time from the first one till the last one I made I had redesigned it several times. The original plans had the centenarian made from three pieces of baltic birch and in the end I was cutting them out of two.

Because it was such a great project for teaching me to adapt a design to my equipment, I seriously think this will be my first larger project for the GF.

Could be quite interesting cut from 1/8" baltic birch or perhaps thin solid plys and then laminated up.

1 Like

Also a good prospect for using the 1/4" cut depth to cut on 1/2 inch plywood by flipping over and finishing the cut all the way through. A little edge sanding and assembly and you’d be good to go. Great design.

Thanx, but to be clear, the original design was lifted from an instructable. I just adapted it to my needs.

More wondering why you have kitchen knives on your nightstand :slight_smile:
Not judging, who am I to say the correct place to make a samwitch

2 Likes

:slight_smile: that is not a nightstand, it is a dry bar in the kitchen/dining room. But, yeah, I just sat them there for the photo.

1 Like

Cool

1 Like

Great idea! Looks like a couple of those knives came pretty close to giving your gladiator a new haircut. :slight_smile:

This would actually translate rather cleanly to laser cutting, given that it’s an assembly of different planar cuts. Even if you’re looking to use a material thicker than Glowforge can support, it’s easy to simply cut the same thing twice, stack the separate chunks, and, if it’s to your liking, sand or paint the result to even out any uneven edges from the assembly step.

We’ve done this for all sorts of projects, like this cell phone holder for instance:

3 Likes

Yes, this is pretty much how I was imagining it, with several thin layers to laminate you could add a lot of details to the centurion and shield not to mention engraving the out most layers.

The cell phone holder (and the rest of the set - monitor stand, pencil holder, etc) have a bit of a secret to the construction. They use a few long bolts through the material for alignment and to keep you from having to glue every layer. Then you glue the front and back layers on to hide the hardware. @Tony’s idea, as I recall.

Sshh, don’t tell.

7 Likes

Ah! I had a similar idea of using a"key hole alignment " by using either aa round or square dowel passed through a couple of holes.

:smiley: Sorry, still smiling that your original plans were to make a centenarian! I’m glad you changed it to a centurion!

Can’t it be both? :slight_smile:

I knew what a centenarian usually is, but thought that I might have missed another meaning and this was some character in a video game or LARP world. Like, one of the hundred group of fighters that made up a phalanx or something.

This won’t be the last time my dyslexia will rise it’s head. When I finish typing the page is awash with red swigles, usually I find the right word, sometimes I miss. Sometimes it is quite entertaining.

1 Like

I do believe we all can just blame autocomplete for most of our errors. Nice to be able to edit our posts.

I fore won have found auto compete to be my greatest enema.

:confounded:

10 Likes

I do my best proofreading right after I hit send…

5 Likes