I bit the bullet. Did anyone else?

This is mostly true, but you should absolutely wear goggles if you’re ever using the passthrough. (GF likely has to say you have to use them at all times since it’s a Class IV, for legal reasons).

What do I not understand about laser classification here?

As I understood it, Class IV is any laser with enough power to damage skin or eyes without any focusing first.

Being in a completely closed case doesn’t change the class of a laser, it just makes it a bit safer by preventing you from getting said skin or eyes in the way of the beam.

So the Basic is still a Class IV laser. Or I just do not understand classification.

The class of a laser is determined by both the laser and the environment in which it’s housed. Anything above a 500mW laser is considered Class IV. The Basic unit, however, is entirely enclosed and designed with safety interlocks such that you can’t be exposed to the beam; if you open the lid it shuts off. This renders it a Class I laser since there’s no reasonable expectation of damage to eyes or other body parts. The Pro remains a Class IV because it has the slots on either side to incorporate longer parts; there is a chance, however small, that the beam could reflect out. Thus you should wear goggles when operating it, or at least when using the flaps.

1 Like

@matisa: I would, with deference and respect to @jacobturner, disagree.

I’ve been running a dual extruder 3D printer for more than 3 years now and love it. The compromise is that you lose build area in the Y direction equal to the distance between the two nozzles. In my case, this is a loss of 20mm in the Y axis and 0mm loss of travel distance in the X. My prints are 95% of the time single color/single material, so many of the other problems aren’t very prevalent. I do have some leakage from the second head in dual color/material prints, but this tends to be more cosmetic than anything. Plus, I’d rather have had the use of a dual extruder for the last 3 years (and the future) than wait on a KS to fulfill their backers and then offer public releases.

I’ve debated and debated and debated… but the 1/4" tall slot just isn’t large enough for me to justify the extra funds. Instead, what I’m hoping to see in the coming year (or maybe 2017) is a larger Glowforge Basic (no slot). If costs keep dropping for GF as it does with other technology, I imagine the company will be able to offer larger models at even lower prices once they get their manufacturing issues figured out.

It’s weird nomenclature but there are Classes of Lasers which have to do with power, frequency and other stuff, then there are Laser Products. The Laser itself is I believe a Class IV laser but when fully enclosed as it is in the Basic GF it becomes a Class I Laser product because there is no risk of direct or indirect laser exposure. The special glass top is also a barrier to indirect laser reflection at that frequency. At least that is my understanding.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the tip… I already couldn’t justify the 2000 I was spending to my girl…4000? (facepalm) Though I would love to, I don’t think jumping to the pro was really worth it… Made the decision for the Basic + Air Filter. Also, I’ll have to find a fan or some other way since I don’t have air conditioning currently. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-first-personal-air-conditioner#/story Hmm, coincidence…?

The longer cuts of rigid material, laser power, and the cooling sold me. I already have people wanted to rent the laser for their own projects. I’ve already got a $1,000 offer so I’m hoping it will pay for itself.

Basic is a “class 4 laser in a class 1 housing”, if I remember correctly. Same as a blu-ray recorder.

1 Like

Well, no luck on the Canadian dollar suddenly climbing… haha, but referrals have been kind to me so that helps take the sting off.
Now to wait very patiently for my GF Pro to ship… :gift: :relaxed:

It took a full 29 days for me to upgrade. Lot’s of research and planning. Have enjoyed the forum posts. Gonna miss the constant updates as I’m sure posting will start to trail off for a while. More entertaining than social media.

Nope, we are sticking with the basic for the moment through we had a solid discussion about upgrading to the Pro - without filter.
What decided it for us was:
Location (Australia) - The A$ is low against the US$ so it would be A$2k more and that is without the potential of greater shipping costs (which are extortionate even for the Basic) and is often known as 'The Australia Tax’
Usage - While we are eager to make a business around the GF and have almost no local competition we have to build a Business Plan for that first lest we over-capitalise. The Basic will suit us as we try out some ideas and test the market.
Pass Through Slot - This was our main attraction, with the extra Laser Power and Cooling a very close second. A 1/4 inch (6.35mm as the real world knows it) is not enough for us… who knows, with usage and a greater understanding of the system we might change our mind but on paper and with very limited CNC experience we prefer to err on the side of caution
Early Adopter - I am a huge supporter of what GF is doing here. I hope it works (for Dan and the company’s sake as well as all its users) because this is how new ideas grow to become world-shakers. I was an early Adopter of the Oculus Rift and still have my DK1 & DK2 ready to roll at a moment’s need. However i can imagine, from just seeing the awesome ideas in the community here, that later production models will be evolving and might match our projected needs more closely.

Australia is behind the US and Europe when it comes to creativity in things like Maker Spaces and the like. I have lived in both the USA (Whidbey Island off Seattle) and Europe (Germany + others) and was amazed at the level of creativity i saw in everyday life… it is something that Australians (in general of course) do not seem to have. This Discussion board confims this for me. It is not as easy to get access to these technologies in Australia so I don’t have the depth of experience to draw on that many of you have. For my wife and I the Basic version will be our Doorway.

2 Likes

I believe I read something about 70 degrees or below for running a GF. Maybe somebody else remembers were to find past discussions of this?

I’m a bit down south of Oakland, in San Diego, CA. It has rarely been below 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit since July (yikes).

I’m in Venice and we’ve had about the same summer. I ordered a basic last week but as soon as I read about the basic & the 70 degree thing, upgrading was a no-brainer for me.

Get what you want the first time and you only cry once. Hold off, and you’ll likely regret it many times over.

gonna check into that, thanx for the heads up. i am mostly interested in the ability to print the disolveable material as support and divisions between moving parts.

If you find you might want to use/test out the capabilities of the pro, let us know… We did go the pro-no filter option (in Melbourne area) mainly for the pass through/cooling…

Tom

1 Like

In Oz too, S.W. Vic., went GF Pro straight off the bat. If there are enough of us maybe an Australian GF users group may help put untapped creativity to work? (I refer to BDM’s comment above)

2 Likes

No, sticking to a Basic with no filter simply because of shipping and import costs to the UK.

I figure that eventually Glowforge will be available retail in the UK and I can pick up a filter if I need one then (and list price is about the same with shipping…)

I just got one yesterday Basic + Air Filter. I think the filter is important for home use or indoor use. I’m excited to learn more aspects of using the laser such as strength and speed. Does anyone have any blogs or videos I could watch to learn more about the nuances of laster cutting and engraving. I’m very curious to know more about how to set up the differences between those two functions.