I don't understand anodized aluminum... or lasers

I was using a Magic eraser - takes a little scrubbing though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

From what I understand the laser is not removing a coating of the anodized solution it is actually obliterating the dye within that layer that’s causing it to turn white similar to what it does with blue jeans or colored paper. In a sense bleaching it

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ll have to experiment some and talk to our anodizer. If what you are saying is correct, then there is at least some dye left behind. I wonder if it offers any protection to the aluminum.

Generally after anodizing, there is a clear sealant put on as well. If the dye is being bleached at low settings, is any of that sealant being ablated? If not, there there is still quite a bit protecting the piece.
Looks like the tag the OP posted has been punched out after anodizing, (You can tell by the bare metal edges) so it won’t matter a whole bunch, but all my stuff is punched, then anodized, so even edges have color and sealant, and therefor protection.

1 Like

That’s how the ones from chewbarkas are as well, better quality, thus the higher price.

1 Like

From the ones I have done if you run your fingernail over it you can’t really feel a ridge at all so it’s not taking any material away it’s just bleaching the dye out of the coating that’s already there. As opposed to the steel coated ones which you can actually feel the material has been removed

1 Like

That’s just the reflection of the flash, I think (I was struggling to get the slight mark on the top to show up). They’re totally encased in color, including the little circle cut outs. So I assume it’s punch first, anodize after.

1 Like

That makes complete sense. I can feel a texture change between the color and the white with my nail, but the engraved stuff isn’t below the surface of the color.

1 Like