I don't understand vectors

I want this bear to be the shape and the red lines to be etched. I have no idea how to make this into a vector to cut with the glowforge! Any help is much appreciated.

I don’t have Illustrator but I have Inkscape!

What you want is auto trace. I’m not an Inkscape user (I use Illustrator) but here’s a tutorial:

3 Likes

It’s a bit more complicated to explain through typing. Try this though:

Bear

7 Likes

The way the lines are, some of the body parts would just be cut out as part of the outline rather than engraveable. So in Inkscape I had to do it in a few steps, tracing, then going through and breaking paths and connecting lines, etc.

4 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t study the original too closely, on account of 2 cats constantly pacing back & forth in front of my computer screen, but when I saw Inkscape I just grabbed the tutorial. Looks like it did take a bit of finessing.

2 Likes

How did you make that?!

I’ll try to explain better later, i just did it quickly before heading out. In the car waiting for my son right now.

2 Likes

Autotrace made the red gray and then when I uploaded it into Glowforge, it made some of the red lines double lines. So this isn’t going to work at all.

Download and uncompress the zip file, set your engrave and cut settings according to your material.

drawing-14.svg.zip (121.0 KB)

3 Likes

How did you make that file? I have several designs like these that I need to make!

Hi Sally!
Engraving is accomplished with a raster or bitmap (the back and forth advancing line by line) a vector is a tool path like the cut outline on the bear.
The glowforge recognizes different colors as different operations, each color will be represented by a separate thumbnail on the left of the screen. Note that all elements of the same color will all be in one thumbnail. The top thumbnail will be done first, proceeding down the list. You can change the order by dragging the thumbnails to a different position.

Spend some time with Logos by Nick to learn Inkscape quickly.

2 Likes

I think I used Gimp and Inkscape. I don’t pay a lot of attention, just use a tool that gets the job done.

1 Like

Just re-checked using your file, and Gimp and Inkscape got the job done. You just have to learn how to use the tools at your disposal. They are both free…

1 Like

I’m going to make you a little video in a bit on how I did it. Sorry about the delayed response though, I’m having movers come in the morning and I’m not quite finished packing.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.