I etched glass on a GF, then this happened

I’m a glass artist, specifically a glass fuser. My goals for my GF are to make hanging and display systems for my artwork and to incorporate etching into my work. In the past, I have mostly used Armour Etch (an acid) to etch the surface of the glass before fusing and sometimes I used a sandblaster. I made a couple of attempts to etch glass last week when I received my GF and was unsuccessful, until I did some searches and found the right power (all the power), speed (400), and LPI (225). Many thanks for that info, because this is what happened!

The glass is black iridized fusible glass. I etched a stylized “om mani padme hum” image into the iridized glass leaving only a black pattern. Then I slumped it into my Buddha mold with a dichroic glass bindi dot. So pleased! :grinning:

87 Likes

Fabulous! :grinning:

2 Likes

Simply amazing!

That is beautiful work and the method is brilliant!

Beautiful, even though I don’t understand what you said! :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Here’s what om mani padme hum means: “Thus the six syllables, om mani padme hum, mean that in dependence on the practice of a path which is an indivisible union of method and wisdom, you can transform your impure body, speech, and mind into the pure exalted body, speech, and mind of a Buddha[…]”

1 Like

Oh, very nice! Just think what you can do now with your fused glass pieces. The sky’s the limit!

Actually I meant:

2 Likes

Sorry! Glass fusers use ceramic molds in kilns. I took the lasered glass, placed it onto the ceramic mold in my kiln, then heated it up to 1280 degrees fahrenheit. At that temperature, glass softens and gently slumps into whatever ceramic or steel mold is below it.

3 Likes

This is really cool! Thanks so much for including your settings!

I to look to the GF for help with glass fusing projects. Cold work etching was one. But I also used it to cut thick fiber paper for base relief and I am working on it in the negative for ‘mold’ forms for small projects. It is great for making sandblasting stencils. I can put the masking media over the glass and into the GF and just weed out the pieces without having to transfer the masking to the glass. Still learning, but having a wonderful time of it.

2 Likes

How long before we see a lasered acrylic slumped into or over a form, or vacuum formed, even ?
So many ideas - so little time !
John :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Was I dreaming that loud last night? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did that last year for a bowl made of 1/4" acrylic. I had a PRU at the time so the post was one of my “Dispatches”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wow, I missed that one . Must have been travelling .

John :upside_down_face:

All credit goes to @Jules for the design and how to.

1 Like

Precisely why I bought my Glowforge.

Could you share the settings you used for cutting fiber paper?
Both the 1mm paper, (Papyros) as well as the thicker stuff .

I’m seeing .0625, .125, and .25 from Fibrefax.

I’m thrilled that that works for you too.
How’s the smoke/stink qoutient ?

Thanks!

That is amazing. Etching is a great compliment to the piece.

I haven’t tried cutting fiber paper or thin fire yet. I etched the glass with the GF pre-slump, then I slumped it into a ceramic slump mold.