I finally tried dry moly lube on stainless

I’ve been thinking about trying this for awhile. I typically only make things for friends and for fun, so I don’t mind experimenting a bit. Overall, it has some flaws that I think I can improve on, but generally I thought it was decent. As a starting point I sprayed three coats of the moly and let them dry about five minutes in between and like most others, I used settings of 150/Full/340. As I experiment more, if I dial it in better I’ll pass along any noteworthy updates.

-John

40 Likes

That actually looks better than my Caremark spray. :blush:

5 Likes

Molly lube? Why have I not heard of this before?

1 Like

You obviously haven’t dug deep enough into the gf archives of olden day wonder!!

Dry moly lube, mustard, a wet paper towel. Amongst other things. All trying to find a decent cheap replacement to cermark.

11 Likes

That looks really nice. What does it feel like–the diff between the lasered and untouched surfaces?

1 Like

That came out really nice. I like dy-moly, for its results and its price.

3 Likes

Great result! Looks like success to me!

1 Like

@kelley1, it’s a smooth, almost unnoticeable difference. You’re basically just using the laser to bond the dry moly to metal. If you run your finger over it you can feel a subtle difference. but its very minimal.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Thanks for the insights jmajor! Appreciate the pic with the settings…Like you this has been on my mind for awhile and like wesleyjames love to find a decent cheap replacement!
Happy Burning!

2 Likes

This turned out really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Love those results.

1 Like

I think it looks great!

1 Like

Looks great! I was too cheap to every buy Cermark so I’ve only used DML, but, I love it. Easy to apply and clean up and much cheaper!

3 Likes

Although,

3 Likes

Interesting. I had not heard the chemical argument against dry moly lube before. However, coming from a company that makes a higher priced product for some reason lessens the argument to me. lol I’m not a chemist though, so they may well have a valid point. Does anyone know if GF staff has ever weighed in on this?

1 Like