I had the best day

I did! Its an amazing place.

@chadmart1076 its in the backhills of western NC. I never knew it was there, but it happens to be about 15 minutes from my moms house, so I will be going back quite often.

Turns out they are a mass distributor of exotic hardwoods to vendors. The seemed interested in working with me to offload pieces similar to what I showed in the first photo (and slightly larger), so if people are interested in getting some of these thinner hardwood pieces let me know and I will look into setting something up.

35 Likes

what is the place ?

2 Likes

Hear that guys?
Takitus is another good source! Be kind when you send your payment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I am so envious!!

2 Likes

I love the google listing," people tend to spend 15 mins to 1.5 hours here". I bet I could hit 2 hours…then out for BBQ. Nice finds. Have fun with all that potential!

4 Likes

That’s gorgeous!

One small note of caution: any time you use materials that aren’t designed for a laser, be careful. This board:

looks to my eye like lacewood, which is an irritant and might not be safe to use in your Glowforge.

43 Likes

Wow, now that is some serious attention to detail.

Bravo

8 Likes

Its Leopardwood! But thank for looking out! It does look similar to lacewood.

From what Ive heard, lacewood is not only bad in a laser, but the dust from any type of milling is an irritant. People have had to empty their entire shops, clean it from top to bottom, and even throw out their shop vacs to get rid of the issues. Lacewood also describes a number of different woods that look similar, including sycamore.

I didnt happen to pick up much with strong grain to use in the laser, as it would be hard to see the engravings, but I did pick up a TON of purpleheart, yellowheart, padauk, and cherry. ( along with some cool samples of others for non laser projects)

Leopardwood:

Lacewood:

34 Likes

Wow!

I wanna go there on vacation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there an outlet mall nearby I could drop the wife at? :grinning:

11 Likes

There’s a flea market a ways down the road. Does that count?

5 Likes

Was just notified that some new proofgrade materials got here today too! I’m bustin at the seams! Really excited to try out the cherry hardwood, walnut ply, and maple hardwood for 3d engraves!

43 Likes

Ah! Cool.

6 Likes

Wow. Looks like heaven. That is one amazing distribution center.

5 Likes

Some of those darker ones that look like they could be walnut have GORGEOUS grains in them I’m so jealous

4 Likes

Is any of that from the pic in the post just above this proofgrade?

2 Likes

Behind, with the QR codes.

3 Likes

Yeah, back row is walnut ply, cherry ply, maple ply, and black acrylic. Front smaller pieces are the hardwoods: cherry, maple, walnut, 1/4" acrylic black, and clear

6 Likes

So after reading more into it, some woods are known as sensitizers, and can cause you to develop allergic reactions over time. Lacewood reactions are commonly caused by allergies to the wood. Rosewood is apparently a very bad sensitizer as well. If you are in contact with rosewoods (especially cocobolo), you can develop an allergy, and even pink eye. I overheard a discussion while I was in woodcraft where one guy was telling another guy that if he was working with Afrormosia to pull out any splinters immediately, or it could lead to gangrene/sepsis.

This page has a list of woods and their effects: (some scary stuff! knowings half the battle…)

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

34 Likes

That’s what I get for not zooming in on my phone. :blush:

2 Likes

Well, that is certainly going to encourage me to mask up before sanding!

3 Likes