Weekly Highlights for the Week Ending February 25th, 2017

Last Week’s Goodies:
Highlights for the Week Ending February 18, 2017

Staff Smarts:

Does the Glowforge have 100% accurate cut-through capabilities on Proofgrade?

Editor’s note: something got lost in translation; this heading doesn’t match the question I thought I was answering. Proofgrade material will cut through every time (or it’s a bug that we need to fix). My reply dealt with the question of “can you precisely engrave to a certain depth.” You can engrave a 1/8" slot much more precisely in, for example, acrylic than it will be in walnut hardwood.

–dan

Why is the laser tube mounted on the gantry?

Be a little careful about cutting exotic hardwoods.

How long will shipping to the UK take?

Is the 10% shipping discount going to be extended?

Pre-Release and Beta Pearls:

Man! That’s Sharp!

Gettin Jiggy With It!

iSense a Disturbance in the Force

Gettin’ It Ready to Engrave

Okay, Who Let Her In?

Motion Activated Bike Lights Prototype - Made on a Glowforge

Twin Dragons

It’s Knot What You Think

So, Day Two, And This Happened

Girl with Gun (This is How it’s Done)

Fun in the Forum:

Let’s Fold

Ahhhh-chooooo!

Sanding a Perfect Bevel

Free Online Vector Software

Laser Engraving Comparison on Various Woods

Trader’s Village

Paper Power

Trophies can be Inspiring

Laserable Materials

Fractals Fractals Fractals…

Laser Tips for the Inexperienced

22 Likes

3rd time in Woot woot(not counting I swear…)! Thanks @Jules for keeping this up another week.

5 Likes

All this on top of having a GF too? Thank you

2 Likes

Don’t have my Glowforge yet but following the forum. Wonder if Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work?

2 Likes

@Jules, have you checked it out?

This previous thread touched on these and it got some good responses.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried a little piece of one the other day. It tends to chew up the sponge pretty badly, which would be pricey if you had to do large areas.

I’ll do a few other tests later.

Yes. It’s got a microporous texture.

It’s good for cleaning sooty residue. You can also wet it so it makes less of a mess on your hands. :slightly_smiling_face:

Walmart sells a knockoff version for half the price of the Mr. Clean brand and they’re visibly and operationally identical as far as I can tell.

If you search for “melamine sponges” you can find them as cheap as $10 for a hundred sponges. I have 200 of them sitting in my garage and I will say that the Magic Erasers are better quality, but for the enormous price difference, I deal with it. (Around 3am I sometimes go into a weird Amazon buying spree; hence the 200 sponges. I tend to not remember everything I buy, but it makes for a nice surprise a few delivery a few days later. For some reason my hubby doesn’t find it as amusing as I do :stuck_out_tongue: )

8 Likes

Heh-heh! I do the same with the midnight buying jaunts and then can’t remember what the heck l ordered when huge boxes show up!
:smirk:

I bought a couple of large lots of the melamine sponges off EBay a few years ago, and I’ve got a lot left. But these DO crumble a lot worse than the sturdier Magic Erasers.

2 Likes

My wife gave me a perplexed look :unamused: when I opened a the somewhat medium to large box and handed her the package of 40 magic erasers :grin:

6 Likes