I had the best day

I didnt mention it, however for those of you looking for similar places, there are a number of exotic wood mills located around the US (A few in each state from what ive seen):

Baird Brothers in Ohio/PA (who I was considering going to visit before I found this one closer)
Northwest Hardwoods in OR/WA
Exotic Lumber in MD
Globalwoodsource in CA
etc

Most of these places carry very similar stock, and might be in proximity to your location. Im sure there are more that a quick google search will turn up in areas I didnt cover.

Not to mention there is probably a Woodcraft store close to you as well. I have one down the street and they import from the local mill and usually have a good selection of exotics and sometimes plastics like delrin and acetyl. The only reason I found the local mill, is because I bought out all their stock of thins, and started hunting for more! ha

18 Likes

How munch money did you end of spending…!!! It looks like it was 1000 worth of wood !!!

3 Likes

I went back through the thread, but don’t see the name of the place listed. Did anyone get the name? I have to travel through western NC several times a year.

1 Like

I think @takitus wants to protect his source :wink:

6 Likes

Its kind of this, and a couple of other reasons, but moreso that there are exotic lumber mills all over the place. This one just happened to be close to me.

@jeffarazzi Theres one in Richmond called Yukon Exotic Woods (YUKON Exotic Woods). Either way, there are a number of them in this area (appalachia), so if you google it, youll see all of them listed.

8 Likes

Look at this thread from the potential perspective of the viewers…

Oh, look… takitus found something awesome and he’s sharing it with us. Oh, wait… no he’s not. He’s just bragging that he found something awesome and actually has no intention of sharing.

I’m not saying that’s my perspective on this. I wanted to know as well, but I really don’t care. I’ve got plenty of things to do once I get my Glowforge.

But I’m not quite sure I understand the point of creating the thread. Was it really to say “Look what I have! Nah nah nah… It’s super secret so I’m not telling you. But I wanted to make sure you know that I have it. Because I’m just… that… awesome.”

Anyway… Just a thought that could cross a person’s mind. :slight_smile:

And, of course, this is all in good fun. Please take it as such!

3 Likes

In case there’s any doubt or confusion, this is absolutely a place to share cool things that you’re stoked about, period. Sharing something does not mean you’re expected to provide information for other people to do the same thing. That’s actually the rule for designs (“don’t ask for sources”), and is certainly a reasonable baseline for anything else, like sharing material sources.

This is a place to share, and this is a place to give help. But nobody’s required to do either of those things, let alone both at the same time.

26 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check into them and look for others. Looks like they are in Norfolk, so a 2 hour drive from me.

4 Likes

Yeah, it does come off that way, and I didnt mean for it to. I personally didnt realize that exotic wood mills were as common as they are across the US until I looked into it/after I posted this thread initially. Ive linked to a number of really cool shops here and in a lot of other threads that I use online that provide great materials etc. For example: http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/ is an amazing online store.

As for exotic lumber mills, there is probably one closer to most people on this thread locally, that has comparable stock to this place. You will get better deals at almost any shop if you are local and walk in. This not only goes for woods, but plastics as well.

A number of local shops give me free materials ALL the time. I patronize their shop often, purchase often, and work with them. However, if for some reason I told the entire internet who that was, and they all started emailing and driving in from other states saying ‘hey I heard takitus got free stuff/deals’, I would be out of luck, they probably wouldnt be happy with me, and it could be a pretty big pain for them, and I dont want that. If youre ever in greenville SC area Ill happily introduce you to them though!

So ultimately, im sorry for making sound like I found this singular great thing. Its a cool place, but not singular by any means. There are more of them! Probably close to you…

Check your local area for plastics and exotic woods. Go meet them and make friends, youll all be happy that you did, and youll probably come away with some great deals, and also know where to go to zen out and find some amazing stuff.

27 Likes

seriously don’t worry about people being jealous of your find, keep it secret and enjoy it if you want. I think it’s great you found a resource for materials and I don’t blame you one bit for keeping it to yourself. Like @dan said this is a place to post cool things not just give everything you find away to everyone. I get free material from suppliers that don’t use the scraps, I’m not telling anyone about who I get it from lol

10 Likes

He said we could look it up and encouraged us to find things nearby where we are vs. looking for the magic somewhere else :slight_smile:

A little research shows us many wood suppliers in NC:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/content.php?r=76-Wood-Suppliers

and several specializing in exotics:

http://worldtimbercorp.com/exotic-woods/
https://westpennhardwoods.com/Our-Products.aspx

They look like they do online business as well and some of this stuff I never heard of before. One of them has pictures that look suspiciously familiar though :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That looks identical to one down the road from me in Portland, Oregon! same racks, same roof, so weird. nice haul!

2 Likes

I don’t need to know where this place is, just tell me where you live @takitus, street address and when nobody will be home. I will handle the rest :smiley:

10 Likes

This is also a great resource:

http://woodfinder.com/index.php

11 Likes

Ohhhh, this is close by!
http://www.righteouswoods.com in Rowley, Ma!
@chrisgray1313, it’s really close to you!

5 Likes

Oh my! There are more around me then I thought!

Edit: And this is on my way home. http://www.rockler.com/retail/stores/ma I hope you are happy. I’m going to have to go there and buy things now! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit2: And they have an in-store demo soon.

03/11/2017 CNC and Laser Engraving Your Woodworking Projects - 11AM
See all the capabilities both of these machines can offer you in the way of CNC work and laser engraving.

7 Likes

My reply was in jest, Thank you for sharing the pictures of your good fortune. :sunglasses:
I know you will craft amazing things with the materials!
All we can ask is that you please share the results with us! :squeeee:

8 Likes

yeah man, post photos of your score!

yessss. My local woodcraft store has some really cool classes and demos as well. Would love to hear what comes out of that!

2 Likes

I’m probably just going to be window shopping for now (I’m not allowed to buy things until after my 3d printer is gone :cry:). But I will let people know what they have!

5 Likes

So just keep in mind, woodcraft and rockler are generally resellers and get their stock from local companies in a lot of cases. Thats how I found the local mills here… I bought all of their thin stock out and had to go hunting.

I still go to woodcraft often to get stuff quickly because the mill is a bit of a drive. Once you go to an actual mill, youll see why

7 Likes