I had the best day

The wood is a little darker on the 1%. Thats just an area where all the paper has been engraved off but the wood hasnt really been touched.

Yeah , thats why Ive started putting the dates on these. There is definitely a change in how they are handling the power scaling as of late. The one from january bottoms out around 33% and the ones from this week bottom out around 16.6%.

3 Likes

There are natural variations in wood that might account for some differences.

2 Likes

How cool is it our machines capability will evolve beyond what it is when we open the box? :+1::sunglasses:

10 Likes

Funny thing is, it will probably have more functionality out of the box on day 1 than the muse will ever have (and a lot of other lasers), and will continue to add more down the road.

11 Likes

I canā€™t find anything as low as 45W on the Reci site. What I have learned is as power goes up the voltage and current go up but the pre-ionisation current always seems to be 4ma. So for a higher wattage tube the minimum power is more but doesnā€™t increase as fast as the wattage. That is assuming output power is a linear function of input power.

Another thing I noticed is their tubes are rated for water up to 40C, which is a lot better than the 27C I found before. It makes cooling a lot easier because it is the difference between ambient that is important.

2 Likes

Speaking from experience, Cocobolo is a lovely wood but it does horrible things over time.
I canā€™t work with it anymore.
More then a few minutes of working with it and I get asthma attacks.

I did really like working with it when i could as it has such a tight grain and sanded down to an almost plastic like finish.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/194204/Wooden-Frames

15 Likes

So disappointing to hear this, as itā€™s such a lovely wood! Still, Iā€™d rather know this up front than learn the hard way.

2 Likes

I agree with @printolaser - thanks a bunch for posting your thoughts on your experiences and understanding of the technical aspects of laser cutting/engraving.

4 Likes

Im happy to do it! Got some extra time while engraves are going =P

3 Likes

Those glasses are beautiful.

I canā€™t hear the word cocobolo without thinking of Better Call Saul and his desk. ā€œI donā€™t know what it means, but I like saying the word cocobolo.ā€ :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Mike!
Was a project I worked on during the summer after I was done university and had not found a job.

Oh man imagine having a desk made of it and growing allergic to your desk. I never would have guessed

2 Likes

www.gilmerwood.com

3 Likes

When I start throwing in the third body problem of lines per inch into developing test engraves coupled with speed and power, Iā€™m very happy for Proofgrade, autosettings and @takitus work in this thread.

8 Likes

Interesting take. Canā€™t wait to find out for myself!

I often feel like that when I walk into the work of lateā€¦

7 Likes

Yes. We have a few more rabbits planned. :slight_smile:

Engraving still has many improvements ahead. Right now, changing the power field in engraving does very little, for example. We generally engrave at 100% and adjust LPI and speed to get the desired depth.

20 Likes

I like rabbits

4 Likes

Especially magic rabbits! :open_mouth:

1 Like

With the rate that rabbits reproduce, this is an apt description of the hopper, it just keeps growing and growing!

4 Likes