I have received my GF basic. Ordered Day 4. I have used it for a few weeks now.
Here’s some food for thought for those of you still waiting and wondering if you should continue to wait.
- It does a good job on up to 1/8" material which is how I use it.
- The software works well enough to get stuff done.
- Build quality is good. 4.5/5 stars. Better than expected.
- Proofgrade materials are really good. Way better than expected and “reasonably” priced. Hopefully GF will continue keep this pricing, availability, and run some sales.
- The cut/engrave/score work well and have good setting choices.
- The bed is small unless your only use is small. Hobby size really. I am spending a lot of time editing vector files to fit small 11x19ish artboards.
- The software has a long road ahead. Don’t under-estimate this. One major missing feature is to save your layout/settings at will.
- For those of you thinking the air filter will handle smoke and smell, I seriously doubt it. I have a direct output outside and the amount of smoke going out is a lot and the smell is pretty strong. The fan is well designed and strong. But, I would pass on the air filter idea unless you’re cutting stuff that does not create much smoke. Woods and leather really smoke. Why do you think it’s delayed till May 18’ and beyond.
- The camera only accurately aligns if you position directly below the camera (center of bed).
- Don’t toss the $249.00 shipping box, (really, $249.00)
- Camera trace and cut is a joke at this point. Scale is so messed up.
- I’m not a believer in the pro unit. The pass thru has several challenges (software, alignment, smoke release, …) I wouldn’t want one after using the basic. So I your have a pro with air filter on order, I’d re-think your order for sure.
The basic is a good and “affordable” HOBBY laser cutter. I’ll get my use out of it. If that’s your use, I’d continue to wait for it even though the empty promises are getting pretty deep. For those starting a business, move on. Get a commercial device like an Epilog. Get it used if price is an issue. There are just too many things that are not adequate for business use and based on the company’s track record, getting commercial results from a GF is many years away.
Hope this helps