I made a copy of a physical object

Just wanted to share a quick, simple thing that really drove home how powerful a glowforge can be.

My wife and I were working late on some Halloween costume pieces and she had a pattern for an arm band that a friend had made (not pictured, because it is at said friend’s house). While I was waiting for her to give me something else to do, she said something like “here see what magic you can do with this.” So I did a thing:

1. I took the pattern (white piece of paper below) and put it on a piece of cardboard. Then used the Glowforge Trace feature to trace it in as a design.
  2. Then I did a test-cut on the same piece of cardboard.
  3. Then I put some leather in and cut it out of leather.
  4. Suddenly I had basically an exact copy of a thing that someone else had made.

Anyway I spent maybe 10-15 minutes on it all-told, and didn’t open illustrator or anything. It really felt like I was using a copy machine.

Right to left: pattern, cardboard test, leather print:

The un-stained finished piece:

43 Likes

Holy smokes!

7 Likes

I should say - it looks a bit rough because I seriously rushed through it. If I would’ve spent any time on it at all I could’ve gotten it cleaner. I was literally standing over an open glowforge doing it.

9 Likes

Sweeeet! :grinning:

6 Likes

Is it an optical illusion or are they getting smaller from right to left?

5 Likes

A popular optical illusion with arcs.

Number 11 on the list here

13 Likes

lol

#areyousmarterthanakindergartener

Apparently, today I am not… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great example of the trace innovation - that will figure prominently in my workflow!
Trace really broadens the possible application of the laser.
Thanks for amping me up!

6 Likes

I’m stoked to try it without the hand-tracing step – putting the object itself in the GF! Won’t always be feasible (contrast, complexity, etc.), but would really reinforce the copy machine ease of use.

6 Likes

Yes! It will be fun exploring limits of the ability. I expect more pleasant surprises than disappointments.

@brianfioca so cool!

Really Cool!

1 Like