I made a keyboard, and a case, and a bag, and cables, and and and

I made a keyboard! It was a super fun project, picking out all the components and soldering it all up. But then I had a problem… it’s just an open circuit board. I needed a case for it! And since this was a custom keyboard, it’s not like I could just go pick up a case at Best Buy… so I made my own!

After 14 iterations, here’s what I came up with:

This is made with Proofgrade Walnut ply. The lid is magnetically attached to the base so it attaches with an oh-so-satisfying “SNAP” and locks into place. The front of the board has a funky curve, so I used a living hinge - which had an unexpected but delightful side effect of splitting the light coming from the edge LEDs and projecting a rainbow onto my desk (pics in album below). The vertical bits are all wood-glued down to the base, which is surprisingly strong (although the living hinge is still pretty fragile. Open to ideas on how to secure that better)

The glowforge part was easy, the schematics took a lot of trial and error with draftboard to get perfectly right.

I was rushing to get this done before a LAN party, and I got it done early! Which is when I realized… I needed a way to transport it! So, with the help of a cosplayer/crafter/maker friend of mine, I made a leather bag for it. The liner has three shaped compartments - one for each half of the keyboard, then one in the center for cables. I lasercut all the holes in the leather so it was super easy to sew together with a normal needle and thread. It’s not quite done - I still need to cut and sew the shoulder strap.

Those were the two things I made with the glowforge. If you want to see more WIP and final product pictures, here’s the full album of the whole project (including keyboard, case, bag, DIY USB cables, etc).

47 Likes

Just WOW

The rainbow light effect is gorgeous, and would lead me to gaming in the dark!

My only suggestion for the living hinge would be to cut a thin line that sits just inside of where they connect - so they have that to “lean” on - and then glue that into place. (in this terrible scratch drawing the red line would be a piece of wood glued in behind the hinge)

6 Likes

The edge patterns that you used really makes the keyboards look sharp. They are very professional looking.

5 Likes

Wonderful keyboard presented beautifully.

2 Likes

The creativity on this group never ceases to amaze me! Awesome job!

3 Likes

Those look great. Like the walnut.

2 Likes

Bravo. Well done

2 Likes

These are gorgeous. Now I feel like a total slacker!

2 Likes

Impressive work! Your living hinge is very striking.

3 Likes

Very nice project! Excellent execution!

1 Like

This is amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks for the album share, it’s always fun to see the process!

1 Like

Ooooh this makes my little geek heart happy

2 Likes

The living hinge is mesmerizing! the colors of your keyboard go so well with the walnut. Thanks for showing this to us.

2 Likes

Great project!! It looks super with the lights on!

1 Like

I have made something from scratch but they were pretty basic… somebody mentioned feeling like total slacker… I feel exactly the same too :joy: not too proud to admit it but oh well! :woman_shrugging:
Nice job on vision, planning and execution…and also on transportation!! You covered them all :grinning:

2 Likes