I made a thing on the Glowforge (pre-release)

Never would’ve guessed the piece was spray-painted acrylic! I thought for sure it was different color acrylic. It them makes me wonder…if you’re just going to paint it, would some other material be cheaper?

1 Like

That’s the same thought i had too. A thin MDF would work just as well i think.

Would MDF as thin as that acrylic be durrible? I could see one of the webs between the circles breaking apart at the drop of a hat.

Also, acrylic cuts so nicely. For instance, no soot to deal with before painting.

2 Likes

And MDF sucks to paint. It just soaks it all in and takes many layers plus it’ll never be as smooth as acrylic.

4 Likes

It really depends on quality and brand. If you use home depot stuff, then I whole heartedly agree with you. If you get something like rangerboard premium or plum lake’s upper end, then it isn’t a problem. I use to work for a high end kitchen company, and we did a lot of 1 piece MDF doors and elements. Never had a problem. Though we were spraying lacquer, which may also be a difference.

100% agree that acrylic substrate will be flatter a probably give a better finish, I just have never worked with it. What do you paint it with?

3 Likes

Thanks! Guess I didn’t know about these premium grade MDF. I’ll have to get some and play with it.

2 Likes

This is oh so very cool. Simple and very artistic. Love the frame!! The piece looks fantastic overall