I made "Amazon" Boxes for my Cats

Hey Everyone,

This one is more hand-built but it does have one particularly important laser cut piece, the shipping label lol

Since lockdown started, our amazon spending has increased significantly. Our cats have been loving it. There are boxes everywhere! But they are all gross because they wear them out so fast…we knew we could do better. We set out to make the most artisanal “amazon inspired” boxes we could!

These boxes are made from Red Oak that has been finger-jointed together and a plywood base was added with some glue. The tops are attached with a brass piano hinge and allowed to overextend (like a cardboard box) with the use of a 22.5-degree routed edge on the sides. The inlays were routed out with a top bearing flush-trim bit. We used Alumilite Clear Cast Resin for the inlay colors, used Laser cut acrylic for the packing label, and used circuit cut vinyl for the designs. We oiled them boxes up and let the cats have them.

To our surprise, they have taken to them very well. We put in cardboard inserts as well as crinkle paper to attract them a bit more but overall, they seem to be enjoying them!

We have a video on how we made them here -

Have a spectacular day!
Nicole C
When Geeks Craft

46 Likes

Clever!

4 Likes

That is brilliant! :smile:
(You obviously understand kitties.)

6 Likes

hahahhahaha i have spent the last 6 months with just them hahahah

4 Likes

Love this. My cats have to get into any box that enters the house. Last week I flattened one of those long soda boxes and put it in a recycling pile. Sure enough, the smallest cat found a ways to weasel herself in and slip through the middle.

I especially like the label on your box!

5 Likes

I love everything about this. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

hahahahaha cats will sit in any box. it warmed my heart so much when i found one sleeping in these boxes. i was so proud and honored at the same time over the actions of an animal lol

4 Likes

Cat approval is so rewarding because you have to work for it!

6 Likes

That is really cute!

4 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

hehe

2 Likes

Not a cat person here, but this is really cute!

3 Likes

the cat shown here was fostered in a house with dogs…she is a puppy. its amazing

1 Like

Love that!

When I was in high school, a neighbor had a cat that would play fetch with you and bring it back, drop it and wait for you to throw it again!

Best cat I ever knew.

6 Likes

we shoot nurf darts uo tge stairs at this one and she brings them right back. its amazing

2 Likes

[Screams with joy] These are amazing!

3 Likes

Love these!!

2 Likes

[screams in fear] you startled me.

4 Likes

Yeah, my cat, too.

My GF is down the hall from my computer. Every time I want to print, I have to ask Sam to get down from my lap. At 15, he feels he’s earned the right to ignore me, so I have to pick up him and his felt blankie and place them back on the chair. Then I hit the button, finish printing, come back and pick up him & the blankie, and plop my butt in the chair (hoping I don’t miss). I need to sew the blankie into a sling so I can just get up w/out moving him. Any ideas?

I’d send a photo, but he’s on my lap and the iPad is in another room; the story of my life.

1 Like

Where are the other cats? I’ve only seen photos of this one.

1 Like