I made my first thing

I made a thing, this is the first thing I’ve made on my glowforge (well any laser cutter for that matter); I skipped the tutorial measuring keychain thing…

anyways I decided that I wanted to make a box to keep my medications in because when I open my medicine cabinet they all fall out. The design too a bit of time but I think I got it right on my first try

41 Likes

Congratulations on your first project. Looks great and I am sure will be very useful. Welcome to the forum too. :blush:

4 Likes

Hey, that’s a pretty good first project, sectioned boxes like that take a fair amount of skills to pull off. You’re off to a good start.

Baltic birch, looks like?

5 Likes

That usually ends in gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes but it looks like you survived the skip very well.
I make soooo many boxed and almost always forget to put something on the outside to show its use. Yours is one more “hey mark, put something on the outside”.

7 Likes

Nice. How did you design the box? I user the festi box creator and the Inkscape one most.

4 Likes

I can’t figure out Inkscape at all

I did Box-o-matic

4 Likes

That’s a great first project!

2 Likes

Tutorials will help get you over the hump, the fundamentals come quick. :+1:
Besides buying this machine, learning vector design is the best investment you can make. It will pay you back quickly and continuously! :sunglasses:

Nothing wrong with a generator at all.

I almost never manually make boxes in inkscape, but instead use a generator to make the box, and then embellish it in inkscape (adding text, inlays, etc).

There’s no reason to remake all boxes from scratch, if it’s a pretty simple structure just use a generator and save yourself the headache! @PrintToLaser is 100% correct though, investing in learning a vector editor will pay you back a hundred times over.

Congrats on your project! Looks great! Welcome to the Community!