I need help - how to get designs into GF

So - I’m 3 days into my new Glowforge and we’ve had a great time making designs from the catalog and scanning some simple designs to print/cut. I consider myself pretty bright but I cannot figure out how I get other designs - such as those bought off Etsy or other sites - into the Glowforge so that I can print them. I have a Mac and I’m not sure whether I’m supposed to use Inkspace (which I had trouble downloading onto my computer) or whether there is another program that I’m supposed to use. It all seems like it should be easier and yet, I’m totally stumped.

Any help for a novice computer person?

1 Like

https://app.glowforge.com

On home page select upload and point to a SVG or PDF file.

edit: maybe too blunt. If it is not an SVG or PDF file you may have to convert it. That may require bringing the image into an art or cad program.

If saving from Inkscape, I advise the generic SVG, not the propitiatory Inkscape version of SVG.

2 Likes

You can’t go wrong checking out the tutorials in the Glowforge Tips and Tricks section of this forum. The first post contains a link to the index, and you’ll find everything you need in there.

3 Likes

Welcome! :slight_smile:

Read this;

Getting started

You’re gonna love it!

4 Likes

Best suggestion of all! There’s so much good stuff there.

Welcome! I am also a Mac user and highly recommend checking out Affinity Designer in the app. store. It’s very affordable with no subscription. In the beginning, I also downloaded Inkscape and I agree…it’s a bit of an odd download process. I couldn’t quite wrap my head around Inkscape though, so went with Affinity. The apps we’re talking about though are for learning to make your own designs, not necessarily as a vehicle for getting other projects into the Glowforge UI. You will need to learn more about what formats can be used and that’s where checking out all the tutorials on the forum will help. There’s nothing specific you’re supposed to be using…the choice is all yours. Just take a look at the apps you think you might like and give them a try. Looking forward to seeing your new creations!

4 Likes

Welcome @phoebedukas

Were you able to resolve your question with the help provided? If not, please let us know.

If there is a particular file you’re having trouble with, you can share it here and we’ll be happy to take a look.

If you’d prefer not to post it, you can always email it to us: support@glowforge.com .

Thank you so much for all the help and suggestions – I feel better now with a direction to get some info and get moving on this incredible machine. I’m sure I will be back with plenty of follow-ups. This weekend is the ‘Weekend of Glowforge’!!! Wish me luck…

2 Likes

Luck!

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - when you have those follow-ups, go ahead and post a new topic.