I need to figure out how to make these

7 Likes

looks like magnets

To hold opposing diagonals together? I don’t think that would work! I was thinking some kind of flexible material at the corners…

1 Like

I was looking at if the magnets were aligned or not. if all the neo-magnets were aligned the same direction at each corner and you made two you could experiment and see what was possible perhaps just a steel washer at catercorner to each other or something

1 Like

then again you could make them in Velcro? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I just spotted hinges in one of his videos on FB.

I would still think Neo-cubes in each corner could accomplish a lot.

They’re definitely hinged. You can see it clearly one of the other videos.

1 Like

You can see the hinges next to the corners on the Kickstarter images.

2 Likes

I am guessing he has copyrighted his design, especially if he is doing a kick starter. So even if we did figure it out it would still be his design.

1 Like

:smile: Nope. It’s a fancy fidget cube. Very popular on Thingiverse, and I’ve printed a dozen or so to give as gifts.

4 Likes

so a higher order of one of these?

1 Like

Yep! :slightly_smiling_face:

I see they are all one piece that flips about. I might even try the magnets as they would not be fixed but arranged from many bits to many arrangements.

The boxes are connected by hinges on one side that let them flip in two directions, but they are placed “weird” to use a technical term. (If you look at some of the smaller samples at the Thingiverse link, you’ll see what I mean.)

2 Likes

These remind me of a toy I I had as a kid, was supposed to be a magic trick, used ribbons as a hinge

2 Likes

Jacob’s Ladder. Same principles I think.

1 Like

Thanks, I couldn’t think of what it was called.

I made one with the Glowie. (Then tried it with elastic cord and that didn’t work at all, so set it aside and forgot all about it.) :smile:

1 Like

@Jules, Do you have a SVG or link to the laser files on Thingiverse? The link shows lots of 3D print designs.