I picked this one

My younger daughter (13) has really taken to guitar over the past 2 months. She loves Hamilton (the musical, not the statesman per se). So! I cut this out of .0315" delrin, masked, engraved the logo, Sharpied. It’s a standard 1" x 1.25" teardrop shape. Too difficult to color in the small details. Far from perfect. But I think she’ll like it.

31 Likes

Bet she will!

3 Likes

Very cool, Tom! I have some Delrin but have not yet tried doing anything with it. She will be thrilled.

1 Like

What a fun idea!

1 Like

Cool! Does she play guitar? I would think Delrin would make a great guitar pick, and that’s what this looks like.

2 Likes

So I handed it to her as soon as she got home last night. She said “I love him!” She had a friend over and her friend asked if she could see it. Her response was “No. He’s all mine.” :slight_smile: So I’d call that mission accomplished.

Been trying to think of how to get really clean edges using this method. An earlier attempt with a different logo I used acrylic paint pen but the result wasn’t any better. I’m wondering if maybe I shouldn’t even engrave the delrin itself and maybe just engrave enough to create the mask. I dunno. I bought like 10 sheets of delrin in a few different colors, so I have plenty to play with. Perhaps after I come up with a good method I’ll sell them to local bands with their logos on them. I do know this… I’ve met several big-name bands over the years (like Journey, Heart, and a bunch more) and their logo-painted picks appear to be just stamped on with ink and wear off rather quickly. Maybe I should apply a similar method.

4 Likes

She picked it up in December. Started taking lessons. But beyond that she started learning things on her own on the internet and working with me (I’m no guitar player, but I’m a musician so general musical knowledge still helps). She puts a lot of effort into it and really enjoys it.

I did quite a bit of research before I chose my material; size, shape, thickness. Delrin is pretty much the material of choice for guitar picks. That and celluloid which, I understand, is highly combustible, so I didn’t try it. :wink: Also nylon which I think is laser-safe? And I got a sheet of nylon as well that I’ll test once I confirm I won’t chlorine gas myself or something.

2 Likes

What about laser foil?

4 Likes

That’s a pretty good idea. And I think it’d look awesome. Worth a shot! While it never photographs well, I’ll post results when I do it.

3 Likes

Did you score the outline after engraving?

1 Like

I didn’t. I can see where that could help. Talking to my daughter last night she’s got some new pick ideas. So I’ll try new techniques as I go. :slight_smile:

2 Likes